Monday, November 07, 2005

House of Wax (review)

DOA

House of Wax

Not a bad movie. I was pleasantly surprised. I rented the movie, thinking it would suck. However, I found myself enjoying the flick. The movie is about a group of dumb teenagers getting stranded in a spooky town. People start dying and you know the rest.

The gore is intense and graphic. Every death is played out to the fullest shock value. However, the best death in the movie is that of moron rich girl Paris Hilton. The director seems to take great glee from her death, because the shot of her body lingers on the screen for a long time. I can’t tell you how much I liked that scene. People in this movie suffer greatly, (I loved the finger scene.)

The problems with the movie start with the really bad dialogue. It gets really difficult to listen to the teenagers talk to each other. While the story is sound, the plot gets a little shaky toward the end of the film. The last problem is that there’s no style to the movie. Hell even Nightmare on Elm Street had style. Not a smart or good flick, but fun overall.

Grade C

Stuff to look far…

~Elisha Cuthbert is hot, wearing a wife-beater throughout the movie.

~Paris Hilton is dumb, but not nearly as irritating as her real self.

~Now we know what happens to road kill, yuck.

~The score wasn’t that bad either, actually it’s a step up from other recent horror movie scores.

~Wax figures always creep me out. I don’t like them as much as SUVs and Clowns.

4 comments:

wierufhwre said...

I saw this at Hollywood Video, and thought about renting it, until I saw Paris Hilton on the cover. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing her die.

Also, the lead character wearing a tank top throughout the whole movie may not be so bad.

Semaj said...

Oh, yeah Paris hilton's death is great.

The lead character runing around in that tank top is very nice.

Jeff said...

I heard that audiences cheered during Paris' death scene, that's why the director lingers on it. That in itself is worth a rental.

Semaj said...

Trust me it is. You'll actaully laugh.

My brother saw it in the Theater in CA, and he said the ENTIRE room erupted into cheers when she died.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47