Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Anne Rice writes Vampires no more


Oh, great
___________________________

Anne Rice has lost his mind

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/11/07/books.anne.rice.ap/index.html

Comment: After writing nearly 26 books of vampires, Mrs. Rice has decided to write about Jesus. Her older books were about bisexual vampires and filled with violent deaths. Now, she’s found God, and we have to suffer through it.

(("I wanted to write only for Jesus Christ," she replied, noting that the current novel is intended as part of a series.))

Good, just keep them to yourself. Can’t writers keep their faith and writing separate?

(("My hope is to live long enough to finish the life of Christ," the 64-year-old author said. "God is interesting again."))

Good for you.

Okay, along with Gibson, she’s lost her mind.

6 comments:

Jeff said...

I don't understand the criticism here. You don't have to read her new book. And the description doesn't sound like she's going the "Left Behind" route. Why not a book by a credible writer examing what life might have been like in the period not written about in the Bible, instead of more crap like "The Da Vinci Code" that has absolutely no basis in fact?

Semaj said...

Trust me, I’ve not read the Da Vinci Code. But, there comes a point when you can have your faith and write about something completely different. I might have been too harsh in my post, but why not keep your successful style and storylines and find God.

My writing teacher is strong a Christian, yet he writes some of the most violent and sexually charged books you’ll ever read. His characters are everything but Christians. I just feel that you can keep the faith in your heart and continue to write good stories outside your personal briefs.

But there could be another factor in this story we don’t know. Writers that have huge successes in their early careers are then asked to reproduce that style and universe over and over again. After while they get sick of it, want to do something different. I can understand that as well.

But, thanks for your point of view; I need to hear from the other side.

Semaj said...

crap, i meant Briefs

Semaj said...

Beliefs i cant write today

Anonymous said...

Well, first of all I have no issues with lacing one's faith in with their fiction. One can make it perfectly obvious, or put little tidbits in here and there. But she is an established writer, and she can write about anything she really wants to. If her book bombs, then she will know not to go into that direction. One can go either way, and I do not think there needs to be an absolute rule in writing fiction. Granted I will never purchase the book for the aspect of the content which is false and against my beliefs, but no one is forcing me to read it, so I will not.

paul

Semaj said...

Okay, I can understand that point of view as well.

Thanks for chiming in as well, Paul.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47