Sunday, October 19, 2014

I Got Mind Set on You (60s version) James Ray

I Got Mind Set on You (60s version)
Sound familiar? It should. Everyone remembers the George Harrison version. However, the song was written in 1962 by Rudy Clark. And James Ray performed the song for the record. I believe most, including me, weren't aware that the Harrison version is a cover of this song. I dig some digging and came across this older version.  (Nope, there wasn't tear in space and time and an older composer heard the 80s song and rewrote it for his own time period.  Yes, that was a Bioshock Infinite reference.)
Also, people remember the strange and creepy music video that played over and over again on MTV right?
Look, I am not a fan of Harrison's version. I actually do a wimpy version of the song when someone mentions this version. However, the creepy room coming to life makes you remember. You can tell this was composed in the 80s because of the reverb drum beats and the synthetic sound effects.
By the way, are those things ghosts? What about the animals? And, the clay-animation lips on the dead animals' heads are pretty bad. And, it really stands out.
I hate to sound like a hipster, but the original is better. However, both versions are clearly products of their times.

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47