Friday, November 09, 2007

Young Guns II

Young Guns II

When I was younger, I felt that this movie was sort of a disappointment compared to the first one, which was a fun cowboy movie. The follow up movie felt like a downer to me, and it wasn’t as fun as the first film. However, time has certainly changed my stance on this movie. On an emotional level, Young Guns II is a better movie than part one.

We get to see that Billy the Kid isn’t a great hero, but a flawed man that is trying to hold onto one more ride in the west as a gunslinger. He even goes as far as tricking his crew into going along with him. The filmmakers decided to make this movie a more emotional character driven story than the first film. There is no happy ending to this story.

Emilio Estevez is a little crazier in this movie. His performance isn’t as compelling as in the first movie. There are still some funny, yet deadly, moments in the second film. I think his supporting crew really shines in this movie. Pat Garrett, played by William Petersen, does a great job as a guy who is torn between his friend and the law. It should be worth noting Viggo Mortensen has great role in this movie too.

I also like that the ending isn’t entirely clear in happens to Billy the Kid.

Young Guns II is a more somber movie with the gang finally meeting their end.

Grade: B+

_____________________________________I will make you famous.

_________________________________________

Christian Slater: Yes, my acting career is dead now.

2 comments:

MC said...

If you would have asked me, I would never have said that William Petersen was in YG II, let alone that he played Pat Garrett. I mean, I really don't remember that, and it sort of blows my mind.

Semaj said...

I still didn't realize it until right before I wrote the review. Looking at the name, I was like ,"Hey, I know that guy."

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47