Friday, November 02, 2007

Duane "Dog" Chapman's son did it

The story behind The Dog Story

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=3809135

Okay, we all know about the whole Duane ‘Dog’ Chapman racial slur scandal. I wanted to know how the hell did this phone conversation get out to the public. Well, we now know, he freaking son recorded it and sold it.

((Television bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman's son taped a private phone conversation in which the reality star used a racial slur repeatedly, then sold it to a tabloid for "a lot of money," Chapman's lawyer said Thursday.))

So, this was a way to get back at his father. What did Chapman do to this kid to make him go to great lengths to embarrass him? This could possible ruin his career, as it is.

((A&E has suspended production of the series, saying the network takes the matter seriously.))

Now, we just need to get rid of the rest of the reality shows stinking up the channels.

Okay, so Dog apologized. My only problem with that is this.

(("I have never seen anything that suggests he judges people by the color of their skin or racial background or anything but on their character," he said. "Duane lost his composure and made very, very inappropriate remarks, for which he truly regrets."))

I can safely say, even in a fit of rage, I’ve never used a racial slur when someone pissed me off. I’ve pretty much called them everything else in the book. I simply don’t think that way.

Why was he really upset with his son dating a woman of color? You had a problem with your son dating a person of color, so admit. I’ve seen countless people say that they don’t like seeing mixed couples and it is usually older people. Young people generally don’t have a problem with this. Older people have to realize the world around them is changing and younger people don’t have the same hang ups as the older generations.

I certainly don’t. I’d date pretty much anyone of any race or any religion as along as they respected. (At this point, my standards in dating are pretty low, I’d date a dwarf.) Then again, I was brought up not to prejudge people by their race. (Now, hairstyles and clothing are a different story). Remember, it’s the way someone acts and treats others that is important.

Okay, I am off my soapbox.

(I will prejudge you if you worship in the Church of Sociology though)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your viewpoint is refreshingly mature and non-judgemental. As a viewer of A&E's Bounty Hunter, I am just as surprised as most other people that Dog spoke this way, but I'm even MORE surprised that his son would betray his own father. The show as we know it is done, obviously. I only have one thought to share, though, and that is this: Can we look at Dog and see all the good he has tried to accomplish, understanding where he's been and how he got here, and perhaps understand that in his fit of fury over his son's betrayal he reacted in a manner culled from years of the drug/prison/criminal world? Was he right to use the word? Of course not (in my opinion). Is he truly sorry he did it? Absolutely! Anyone who watches the show can see that underneath it all, Dog Chapman has a heart of gold. I say we should let him know we don't appreciate his use of the word he's so sorry for using but in the same token, forgive a man who is genuinely remorseful and begging for forgiveness. Isn't that what we'd want others to do for us?

Semaj said...

Thank you for the kind words, Soma55. You bring up some great and thoughtful points. I think he made a mistake, but something made his son react the way he did, and your example sounds correct. Perhaps the work effected him so much that he distanced himself from his son. His son took it the wrong way and betrayed him.

I don't get along with my father, but I would never do this to him.

Anonymous said...

Truth be said, no matter who the person is, or what the person has accomplished, or no matter where they came from and how far they got, they forgot the golden rule. I am sure Imus (spelling?), and all the other prehistoric thinkers who have been de-throned for thinking or acting out loud felt the same way after their negative behaviors were exposed and unappreciated... related or not (meaning family ties). My adult daughter hung herself a little over a year ago (drug related) and I'd be happy to have her alive and happy in love... no matter what ethnicity the man she chose was... just a point to ponder the important things in life are about love. In my opinion this is just another example of what happens when fame goes to someone's head and they forget where they came from. I am currently reading "Dog's" book, and he hated the ethnic slurs growing up. Another example of lessons not learned. Break the cycle. The world is a beautiful melting pot of so many blends it is almost impossible to be one hundred percent any one particular ethnicity. Heart of gold or not... there are consequences to actions.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
... oh, and I also found it odd that in "Dog's" book, he used the word "whore," freely, for all the women he slept with... which makes him... what? No matter what, the word whore is just another slur used to call someone another name other than by their real name. Would anyone go around calling Duane Chapman a "jailbird," or an accomplice to a murder? I doubt anyone with any decency would. Duane continues to learn valuable lessons. After all, isn't that what he gets paid to teach others? Perhaps that's what A&E pulled the show for. Maybe they're not into oxymorons.

SamuraiFrog said...

If that dwarf were Bridget Powerz, I'd totally date her, too.

Semaj said...

Anonymous: Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I wasn’t aware that Dog used to hate hearing racial slurs when he was a child. Like the commenter stated above, some of his ‘work’ might have been a factor in the way he views the world. I truly believe that people are taught hate, and are not born that way. That’s why I feel that is one the things younger people do have going for them. (Now, if we can get rid of MySpace)

I am sorry to hear about your daughter. I have a family member that has been in and out of rehab for most of his life, and has even nearly been killed because of it. However, I can’t imagine the pain that you’ve gone through. Thanks for your personal thoughts and sharing them here.



SamuraiFrog: Agreed, lol. I just googled her (that sounds kind of dirty). She certainly has been keeping herself busy. Heck, she’s even starred in a couple of real movies. I would certainly look strange taking her out to dinner. I’m sort of a tall man!

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47