Sunday, November 25, 2007

Beowulf (3D version)

Beowulf (3D version)

To put it simply, this movie is not only entertaining but also a good character piece as well. I felt like this was what 300 should have been. Loosely based on the old English epic poem of the same name, Beowulf is a remarkable journey. This version of the story makes some changes to the actual storyline of the old poem. The story is more interested in showing us the power of seduction and the hunger for power. The story also ties the three major sections of the poem together in a tighter way, which is something I really enjoyed.

Movie fans will enjoy the not so heroic journey Beowulf goes through in the story. They’re very subtle with the notion that Beowulf believes his own hype. There are hints that he’s a theft as well. Then, there’s his love of the ladies, which will get him in a lot of trouble later on in the story. I really enjoyed seeing this flawed character make some bad choices and try to redeem himself.

The use of motion capture is truly amazing, and it is certainly better in 3D. (BTW, I’m keeping my 3D glasses.) The action scenes do jump out at you. There were a few times when I jumped as tree limbs and rocks flew toward me on the screen. I felt like a tool. The characters seemed very human most of the time, and look just like their live counterparts. There is still the problem with the dull human eyes that they haven’t completely dealt with to my satisfaction.

I have to mention Angelina Jolie’s part in this movie. She plays Grendel's Mother. Her first true intro scene is extremely sexy and wonderfully directed. I loved every second she’s on screen. Yes, CGI nudity is an amazing thing. BTW, yes, she is naked in the movie; you just have to look closely. They pretty much motion captured her entire body; I really mean her entire body. Even though she’s not on screen much, she plays a key role in the overall plot of the film.

Robert Zemeckis made a good film here. Alan Silvestri composed a great score with some very good themes. The FX and 3D tricks were a nice bonus as well. Sure it dragged a bit in the middle, but the ending kicked butt. I loved last few minutes of this story too. This is a very violent PG13 movie, so keep that in mind. Thank goodness there are CGI films aimed toward adults now. I’ll take more of these stories than CGI movies about Bees or Sharks.

Grade: B+

This is Angelina Jolie when she wasn’t too skinny, back when she was still sexy. Think of how hot she was in Foxfire or Gia.

2 comments:

PJ said...

I'm going to watch the 3D version at the IMAX on Tuesday; I can barely wait.

Semaj said...

I think you'll enjoy the film. I really liked it. Great 3d effects.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47