Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Say goodbye to Dollhouse, Fox has burned it down.

Say goodbye to Dollhouse, Fox has burned it down.

From the Hollywood reporter, ((The network has canceled Joss Whedon's cult fave, which in May beat the odds with a second-season pickup despite low ratings.
The sci-fi series, which is filming episode 11, will finish its 13-episode order.))

I can’t say, “I didn’t see that coming.” The producers were lucky to even get past the first season.

While I’ve never seen an episode, I had planned on watching it because I like Eliza Dushku, I like some bad girls, and I’m a huge fan of Joss Whedon as a writer. However, I think TV has changed so much that there isn't that audience for a Whedon type show anymore. It's sad but true. Most of the smarter crowds have gone to videogames and the Internet.

From THR, ((The cancellation of "Dollhouse" may spell good news for fans of Whedon's Web short "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog."
Whedon, who had been rumored to be working on a sequel to the Emmy-winning Internet project, said on Wednesday he is "off to pursue internet ventures/binge drinking" following the end of the Fox series.))

At this point, Whedon is done with Network TV because he’s been screwed over by them so many times, and Fox especially. And to be fair, I think he checked himself out of the show just before the end of the first season.

What I found strange was that Whedon would even take this project on after kind of getting screwed over by Eliza Dushku when he was planning that Buffy spinoff Faith the Vampire Slayer. She would go on to do Tru Calling instead. While I liked the idea of Faith the Vampire Slayer concept, I can see her not wanting to be typecast.

Side note: Are there similarities between the Ghost Whisperer vs Tru Calling. Kind of like Jericho vs Jeremiah. Both had similar plots.

4 comments:

PJ said...

That sucks, I was starting to enjoy the 2nd season. It had a lot of potential, but something was off. Also disappointing that we never got to see Summer Glau in action on the show.

Semaj said...

We might see some of the episodes land online or at least DVD. But, I probably need to start watching the first season.

MC said...

Summer Glau + Joss Whedon = Perfect Storm of Fox Cancellation.

Semaj said...

I think you have something there, the Summer Glau thing might just be a curse.

Real shame because I like Summer Glau

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47