Sunday, May 05, 2013

Sega Prototype: Sega Pluto


Sega Prototype:
Shhh, it's thinking. 
Man, I was rolling through Mondo Cool Cast.com (cool blog you should read), and they did a story on the Sega Pluto. When I read the title to the post, I turned into a giddy little school girl. (no, really I did...for a moment) Anyway, I am a huge old school Sega guy, this peaked my interest. 
(Genesis does want what nintendon't)
There was a lot of stories that came out about the Sega Saturn, but I didn't know about the Pluto. From what I can tell, the Sega Pluto was a modified Sega Saturn with a Netlink (remember them?) modem. The kicker is that there were only two prototypes made. And, those two owners have come forward.
From what I can gather, this news about the prototype only came to light recently. Maybe I am wrong. I checked the wiki page, and this story was added this year. Now, how did that second prototype find its way to a flea market?
The amusing thing about the story is the other guy (the non-Sega guy) had no idea what he was holding until the former employee revealed his prototype. And, there were only two made. You would think Sega would want to hold on to such rare things. But, I guess they aren't interested due to bowing out of the console business.
I would love to learn more about this version of the Saturn. Was this constructed at the end of the Saturn’s life in order to add life to the system? Was this their early planning for the online plans with the Dreamcast?  
And, I'd love to get my hands on the PlayStation prototype that Nintendo worked on with Sony.  Was there an actual playing prototype?   
For poops and laughs, here are a couple of Dreamcast ads


No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47