Friday, January 11, 2008

Starship Troopers III (Direct to Video/DVD)

Starship Troopers III?

I didn’t even know anything about this movie.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/01/09/first-look-starship-troopers-3/

I enjoy Paul Verhoeven’s work and his style. He loves mixing nudity and violence like no other. Total Recall and Basic Instinct were great movies, and they just show that he has a twisted freaky mind.

When Starship Troopers came out in 97, I was more than a little disappointed with the material. However, I’ve come to enjoy it more on repeated viewing. I also liked the subtext of the Military based community that planet has in this version of the future. There was a good amount of social commentary buried in with the violence and sex.

Plus, Casper Van Dien is reprising his role. I guess those late Showtime movies haven’t paid the bills. Man, this guy can’t act. Back in the first movie, which was the worst actor Denise Richards or Casper Van Dien?

By the way, here’s a listing of the sequels and spin offs from the Starship Trooper series.

Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation

Starship Troopers: Marauder

"Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles"

Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy (VG)

Starship Troopers (VG)

12 comments:

MC said...

See, I would say Denise Richards, because she was supposed to be the smarter of the two so her lack of ability in that role really shone through. Van Diem at least had the excuse that he was playing someone a bit more average.

Semaj said...

You have a point there. Casper Van simply plays a jock that ends up a soldier.

But Richards is supposed to be this nerd. Richards seems to have great deal of problems reading her lines and acting at the same time.


Did Paul Verhoeven cast these folks because of the bad acting to reinforce the propaganda style of the film?

I've heard that theory before

MC said...

See, the problem I have with the casting is the fact that they are all supposed to be from South America... and I really don't buy those actors as Latin.

Semaj said...

lol, that's right they did live in South America. I had completely forgotten about that. There were no Latin accents of any kind.

MC said...

My point is, you are telling me that when they were casting that movie, they couldn't find some fine Latino/a actresses to play those "cleancut" roles... not that I am complaining about Dini Meyers naked in a coed shower mind you, but still, that was the thing I thought was absolutely silly.

The accent didn't bother me, as what I gathered was by that time English had sort of become a universal language(it was a book written during the Cold War after all, and South America was in the USA's sphere of influence). It was the skin tone mostly.

Semaj said...

Yeah, that does seem strange. You would at least think that would cast some South Americans as day players.

BTW, the movie could have had even more coed shower scenes.

Mayren said...

I know i'm late but thanks for the details.

Semaj said...

No problem, Mayren

MC said...

I am writing an article riffing on some of this, and I read that Verhoeven doesn't understand why everyone hates Carmen (Richards) in the movie.

Semaj said...

good, I'm really looking forward to it.

Arjan said...

I only saw 1 & 2. 2 was crap.
I'll have to check out the other spinoffs.

greetings,
Arjan

Semaj said...

Thanks for dropping by, Arjan. Roughnecks isn't that bad, just a little silly and poor CGI

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47