Sunday, January 20, 2008

When Star Wars fanboys attack…

(Note: I love Star Wars more than anything else in life. It shaped the way I view movies and the way I write in ways I can't even fathom, but a certain portion of the Fan Base annoys me. Here is one reason why.)

When Star Wars fanboys attack…

http://rantocracy.blogspot.com/2007/06/now-i-understand-star-wars-fans.html

I mentioned an encounter with a fanboy in The Samuri Frog’s SW post and the good MC found the post I was talking about. (Thank you, Matt. I was too lazy to find it.)

MC came up with an interesting point about SW (and Fans) and the hate they have for certain aspects of their material. Anyway, a pissed off Star Wars fanboy came in and made some very sarcastic remarks about MC’s post.

Read his comments below…

((Don't you worry about Star Wars fans, nor pat yourself on the back about your apparent understanding. What the writer of that article was largely doing was taking the piss. Star Wars fans love Star Wars, and that's about it. But, as someone who spends more than just a passing thought on Star Wars, a fan knows that there are things that could have been stronger-- and scenes, storylines, characters, and prequels that could have been filmed or imagined better. Anyone who spends some time analyzing something they are a fan of ultimately comes to the same conclusion.
Or do you blindly and unquestioningly love every aspect of that which *you* are a fan? I should think not.))

You see fanboyman came across a little bit too condescending for my taste. But what really sent me over the edge was his “Don’t worry about Star Wars fans” remark. That just rubbed me the wrong way. I don’t even get what the hell the point he was making in his argument. The comment dripped with sarcasm goo.

So, I attacked Mr. Fanboyman, calling him George Lucas.

He got pissed…a little

((I think you are quite naive if you don't see venom and/or derision implied in the original post itself, Semaj. "If you can't take the heat..."))

Did you read that small threat?

What exactly would a Star Wars fanboy do? Would he get his SW buddies to attack me with their fake plastic light-sabers?

So, here was my response to his threat.

((What Venom in the original post? I just re-read it.
Maybe we're seeing two different things in the post. I see nothing of the sort. How is that being Naive?
Listen, Mr. Lucas, I respect most of your work except for the Ewoks and Jar-jar... and Howard the Duck, so I'm not going to argue with you here, because this is MC's blog.
"If you can't take the heat..."
If I had a penny every time I heard this saying, I'd have two pennies.))

I love it when a rebuttal comes together.

BTW, Re-shoots are in order for the much delayed Fanboys movie.
______________________________________________
Great, he called in reinforcements. I'm in trouble now.

6 comments:

MC said...

I think the only credit I should get in this whole thing is the fact that I equated Star Wars Fans with gamers when it comes to their love/hate relationship with the material.

And you remember when I posted that thing about Jodie Foster and Sin City? Well, I got some snide comments suggesting that I was a SC fanboy, and that was the only reason I was criticizing her.

Semaj said...

and, you made a great point with Love/hate relationship, I think many of the older gamers are the very same people that have that love/hate thing with Lucas. I think that fanboy didn't like reading about the truth. His tone was so snide that I got pissed.

Sin City: Yeah, there seem to be some assholes that came out of the woodwork for that one. But, I remember reading the interview she did with EW, and saying 'I hope someone calls her out for some of these stupid remarks.'

Than, you wrote that amazing post.

BTW, I wonder how Mr. Fanboy found your post?

MC said...

Well, those Technorati tags do tend to be like candy for Google sometimes... so I think that's what ended up doing the job.

Then again, fanbois tend to show up whenever you are discussing something that gets them in a tizzy.

Semaj said...

I was surprised he didn't get his buddies to come in attack you and me.

I remember getting flack from a Kira Knightly fan for calling her skinny. I didn't know she had fans

MC said...

Speaking of Knightly and zealous fans, have you seen the anonymous poster on this article. Wow, I do have a memory for anonymous jackassery, don't I?

Semaj said...

That was great. I wonder why fans are so hardcore?

Btw, Knightly looks sick in that picture. I like that comments tries to say that every woman in england looks pale and skinny. I'm sorry that not true, look at baby spice.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47