Sunday, January 27, 2008

Shrek the Third

Shrek the Third

It’s not really that funny.

Shrek 3 isn’t very funny or entertaining. It’s not even a bad movie, it’s just boring. While the other two movies tried to give us some adult humor, with Dreamworks ripping Disney a new one in both movies, Shrek 3 simply doesn’t bother to be funny. I probably laughed three times during the entire time.

The allure and humor of the first two films are gone in Shrek 3.

So, who is to blame for this movie? It’s the screenwriters. The script is the reason this movie doesn’t work. The story is like that cheap soda you buy from a knock-off brand: it taste bland and doesn’t have that kick that the real sodas have. The jokes feel incomplete and dry.

As I watched the movie, I came up with better jokes and storyline progressions than the actual movie. There was an ENTIRE subplot about King Arthur and his misadventures in high school cut from the film. Check the DVD for some very good deleted scenes that should have been left into the story. I found these scenes far more interesting than what the producers left in.

I’ve always said that a franchise has ‘Jumped the Shark’ when they introduce motherhood and babies. Sadly, this movie has both as a side plot. I found myself not caring that Shrek found himself burdened with childhood.

With the exception of Justin Timberlake, most of the voice acting is still good. There is no reason Timberlake to have in the movie, because he weakens the film with his girly voice. I’m guessing someone in marketing decided it would be a good idea to cross-promote the movie with the growing popularity of Timberlake.

The movie has its heart in the right place. But, it just feels like some marketing and business people got a hold of the story and diluted it. When the merchandising folks are more important than the story, you’ve got major issues.

The first two films are good parodies of the Disney Company, but the third movie just doesn’t have that same vibe. And, don’t get me started on the singing frogs. Was that supposed to be funny?

Dreamworks is squeezing this franchise dry with all the cross-promotional material and they don’t seem to care. (Shrek 4 and 5 are coming out too.)

As a fan of the first two movies, please stop making these…

Grade: C-

__________________________________________I like Justin's music, but he should stick to music and music videos

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you really want to see how much the franchise got sold out, check out Shrek the Halls some time.

paul

Semaj said...

I need to check out Shrek the Halls. I also heard they're making a Puss and Boots spin off (let's not forget the Shrek 4D movie from a few years ago either)
I wonder if they'll release Shrek the Halls on DVD.

MC said...

I don't HATE it... but I feel it doesn't live up to the previous entries, and it makes me sad to think there are going to be 2 more stinkin' up the joint.

Semaj said...

And probably a few more TV tie-in shows too. Dreamworks is really trying to get every penny out of this franchise.

Mayren said...

booo...
This movie doesn't even deserve a C- ; you're usually more harsh on your movie reviews. This one is just a straight F

MC said...

Mayren, I saw Norbit, I Now pronounce you Chuck and Larry, Balls of Fury and so many other movies this year... Shrek 3 was better than them, so I agree in principle with Semaj's rating on this.

Semaj said...

Mayren: I have to agree with MC. I think there are some moments here and there, but a lot of wasted potential. And after watching Ghost Rider and Norbit, everything else is just better. I can see your point too, Mayren.

MC: I couldn't get through the first 10 mins of Balls of Fury. I had to stop it after that. It felt like another Hot Rod.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47