Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie (A movie about a man and his pig!)

Boy, I love that Spider-pig. Spider-pig should get his own show, hell his own movie.

Watching this movie, I came to realize how much I used to enjoy the Simpsons’ TV show. For some weird reason, I stopped watching it. However, I pretty have given up on most network TV. I might have to do some catching up on the show through DVDs.

Let’s get this out of the way the movie is funny. Homer Simpson pretty much carries this movie on his shoulders, and it is basically his movie and his movie alone. There are some downright laugh-out-loud moments. Most of them come from Homer’s antics. The writers prove that again they can handle the bathroom humor and the intelligent humor with great skill.

The animation for this movie is amazing. I’ve never seen The Simpson characters look so bright and fluid. I wish the actual TV show would look this good. With a mixture of CGI and normal animation, you will enjoy simply watching the animation.

The voice work is very good and you’ll like the Tom Hanks cameo too, though the voice talent is always stellar.

The weakest part of the film is the actual ‘feel’ of the movie. Here is what I am saying; the movie doesn’t feel big enough to be a movie. The script has a very limited feel to it. It is no more than an extended TV episode to me. For some, that is okay. However, if you’re going to make a movie from a TV show, the story has to feel big enough that it couldn’t have been told in a two-part episode. Now, that’s not to say that the story was bad, because it wasn’t. It just needed a bigger score and feel.

As I said before, the movie is about Homer Simpson and with him dealing with his bad choices. Some of those choices will come back to bite him in the ass, literally. He does some things that rather reminded me of the father from Family Guy.

Hans Zimmer does a nice job with the score. It sounded different from the TV show. It certainly felt like a movie score. I think he was overlooked when people praised the movie.

Despite a few story structural flaws, I enjoyed the movie, and it made me laugh, while trying to have a nice social message about pollution.

Grade: B

A crowd of angry fans formed around David Chase’s house after the stupid season finale to The Sopranos ended.

________________________________________________

Is that Johnny Storm from FF?

__________________________________________________
F'ing Spider-pig rules, yo.

6 comments:

Mayren said...

thanks for the review. I wasn't sure If this was worthing of throwing onto the netflix or not.
The Simpsons have been around for so long that It's sorta sad to see them go - but honestly i think they will be around in syndication forever.

Semaj said...

No problem, Mayren. While not better than some of the episodes, it still was entertaining.

Is the Simpsons ending this season? I hadn't heard anything about it.

Anonymous said...

Spider Pig was literally my favorite song of Summer 2007, just ask my husband.

Seriously, are they ending? Say it isn't so.

Semaj said...

I've been looking around and I haven't seen anything about the show ending.

Blayde said...

The show is to end after teh 19th season, Groening himself has said it, tho he doesn;t want it.

Popularity might demand another, but i don;t think so

Semaj said...

Okay that clears it up for me. Thanks for the info, Blayde

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47