Sunday, September 20, 2009

Why So Serious? (By Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard)

Why So Serious? (By Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard)

Probably one of Zimmer's most memorable tracks from the Dark Knight is the experimental “Why so serious?”. Keep in mind, WB released this track onto the Internet early. When I first heard the opening chords, which were buzzing sounds, I wasn't sure what the hell I was listening to. “Is this a Batman score?” I thought to myself. It took me a while to get use to it.

I later discovered that the track was to be the Joker's theme song. It is an organized mess, and I mean that in a positive way. The track jumps all over the place revealing the various aspects of the Joker theme. And like the character there are many themes conflicting with each other. When you compare this complicated theme to the Dark Knight theme, a two note theme, they are different sides of the same coin. Batman's theme is very traditional while the Joker theme is experimental.

I personally like the out of tune piano. The buzzing is also pretty neat too. I have to give Zimmer credit for trying something different could they could have easily went with the clown music like in the 1989 Batman Joker theme. I'm not dissing the wonder score from Batman 89. However, this is a different take on a superhero villain theme.

Here is the “making of” the theme.

I had no idea it was a cello that created the buzzing sound. I thought it was a guitar. There is some guitar in there too, but the cello is the star.

Why so serious?

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47