Sunday, September 27, 2009

Roman Polanski: Coming to America?

Roman Polanski: Coming to America?

((Polanski, 76, was taken into custody trying to enter Switzerland on Saturday, Zurich police said. A spokesman for the Swiss Justice Ministry said Polanski was arrested upon arrival at the airport. ))

I was riding my bike near River Road and looked at my cell phone for news. The CNN site read; Roman Polanski Arrested. My first thought was, “Holy Cow they got him”. Sure did take them long enough. I at first didn't know much about the history involved in incident and a 13 year old girl.

I thought maybe there was more to the story. Maybe Polanski was railroaded? Then, I started reading about the rape incident. In my mind, he became a major creep to me. He not only took advantage of a 13 year old girl, he pleaded guilty and then ran away to France. What happened to personal responsibility?

Did I mention he was 44 at the time of the incident?

Part of me is happy to see him arrested. Every bad deed doesn't go unpunished.

Now, the other side of me does think it is a bit much to carry on with a case since 1977.

From CNN,

((There have been repeated attempts to settle the case over the years, but the sticking point has always been Polanski's refusal to return to attend hearings. Prosecutors have consistently argued that it would be a miscarriage of justice to allow a man to go free who "drugged and raped a 13-year-old child." ))

And, even the victim of the case wants the case dropped.

((Samantha Geimer filed court papers in January saying, "I am no longer a 13-year-old child. I have dealt with the difficulties of being a victim, have surmounted and surpassed them with one exception.))

At this point, he had to live with his cowardly actions for 32 years. I'm sure that bothered him. Plus, he had to look over his shoulder just in case someone picked him up.

However, people run from courts all the time. The government wants to get those people back as well. Why should Polanski be any different?

Then there is that horrid Rush Hour 3 cameo...

He probably won't be handed over to the US because of a few countries bitching about it.

I just wish the government was this gun-ho about other cases like this.

2 comments:

abbee lee said...

Yes, Roman did admit he had sex with the 13 year old girl; however, he was not charged with rape. … what he did was wrong, even if it was long ago, he still was made responsible for this…

Semaj said...

yep, yep, hopefully he will be brought to justice.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47