Friday, September 29, 2006

Space Jam (review)

Space Jam

Something went wrong with this movie, and I'm not sure what. Michael Jordan during this time was a mega-media star with endorsements from Ballpark Hot Dogs to Nike shoes. Jordan's Nike TV ads with Bugs Bunny were very popular at the time, and that was the biggest influence in the development of Space Jam. Somehow, I get the feeling studio executives and advertisers got together and created the concept for Space Jam. They then threw the concept to a writer and said, “Make up a story around this shit.”

What we got in return was an unfunny, yet well animated movie. If there was one thing to say nice about this movie, it would be that Bugs and the gang have never looked better. The colors are bright and the animation very smooth. Like Roger Rabbit before this, the interaction between humans and cartoons is done very well. I just wish they took the writing to the next level too, but they didn't.

The 'human' portions of the movie are flat and uninteresting. However the worst thing about the movie is Wayne Knight (The fat dude that gets eaten in Jurassic Park with the shaving cream). His character just gets on my nerves in the same way Jar-Jar does. The movie isn't as bad as it was when I saw it the theaters years ago, but it hasn't improved that much either. The movie feels like one big ad for MJ with little story or character development.

Grade: C

Even today, the team still refuses to admit they use performance enhancing drugs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember watching this when I was kid - I thought it was the greatest movie ever. Right behind Mortal Kombat 2, anyway.

The sad thing is, I don't think my taste's improved all that much :o Thank god for Shrek and all its clones!

Semaj said...

MK1 was great, but 2 not too good.

Shrek was a great movie, and the second one was even better. I like that the sherk franchise is just one big parody of the Disney Company

Anonymous said...

Shrek 2 was a bit of a droller, didn't like it that much TBH...

Semaj said...

Blayde: Many people felt that way, they felt the magic the first one had was gone in the second. I see their point, but I modern jokes and larger parody jokes.

Thanks for dropping by

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47