Monday, March 09, 2009

Watchmen (Review 1 of 2)


Watchmen (Review 1 of 2)

Director Zack Snyder improves on his flawed comic book movie 300 by making Watchmen more about character development and high concepts about the human condition. The Watchmen film is flawed, and a very long film, but there are so many brilliantly constructed scenes that it left me with a big grin on my face during most of the movie. The loser fanboy in me loved this movie.

There are some problems, but overall it is a good action film that is certainly better than 300.

Some would say the movie is ambitious, while others will praise its near adaptation of the Alan Moore 12-issue comic book series. I would call a fun movie with some wonder Film Noir segments throughout.

Snyder has finally discovers a balance between style and a good story. The stylistic scenes don’t overshadow the bigger story. This partly has to do with Moore's complex comic book story and the fact Snyder used lines directly from the comic book. From what people told me, only the ending really deviates from the book.

There are so many well-directed scenes that it is difficult to pick out one. However, I enjoyed the murder scene with The Comedian at the beginning. The close quarters combat was amazing to see on the big screen with the sound effects.

The moving images in the opening credits were also cool. But I didn't care for the song "The Times They Are A'Changin'" by Bob Dylan.

The acting ranges from bland to extremely good. Most of the characters receive their fair share of history and development. Jeffrey Dean Morgan is brilliant as the crazy character The Comedian. He's brutal, real brutal.

One person that really stands out is Rorschach played Jackie Earle Haley. Haley does a lot of acting behind the mask and his body language is spot on. Rorschach is an insane gumshoe that has a twisted black and white view of the world. He does some violent things in this movie in the name of Justice. At some times I agree with him, andf at other times I can't believe his methods. Every time he is on screen, I enjoyed watching his character.

The story takes a Film Noir feel whenever he's on screen, and many ways he's the main star of the film. He has a hat, a coat and a mask. They give him character.

The movie is more of a "Who done it?" than anything else.

End of Part I

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was disappointed in the movie, especially after reading all the"great reviews" on it beforehand. Something about it just didn't satisfy me.

Semaj said...

Some people have said that, but I enjoyed it.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47