Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Movies You Should See: Scream Podcast (And short Review)

Scream Thoughts by the ‘Movies you should see’ folks.

http://digg.com/podcasts/Movies_You_Should_See/589568

I do a lot of walking around Louisville, so I listen to a lot of entertainment podcasts. I listen to these guys a lot too. I found their Scream discussion to be very interesting. Take a listen.

I remember watching Scream numerous times and loving how neatly constructed the plot was. I found Neve Campbell to be really cute, though not as cute as Jennifer Love Hewitt and her massive cans. I’m sure Sidney Prescott would have been portrayed more like an emo kid, if it had been filmed today. I actually cared for this character, unlike many of the people in horror films.

Wes Craven does a great job spoofing his own films, while still making it a real slasher flick. Kevin Williamson made a great script with very intelligent banter between the characters. The press, at the time, hyped up Williamson as one of the best new writers in Hollywood, believing he was going to do really big things for the industry. Yet, it didn’t happen that way, Williamson has all but disappeared from the Hollywood machine. (Hidden Palms" seems to be his current job, and it is a teen TV show.)

Anyway, I need to re-watch Scream 2 and see how I feel about that one now.

Movie Grade: B+

Note: I love that they killed off Drew Barrymore in the first few minutes of the film.

Other reviews to read
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19961220/REVIEWS/612200306/1023
http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/reviews/cl-movie961220-1,0,3581301.story
http://reviews.imdb.com/Reviews/65/6579

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

no bad computer effects: $100
decent acting: $500
drew barrymore gutted and hanging from a tree: priceless

paul

Semaj said...

That's the best scene with Barrymore hanging out

Mayren said...

I'm a total Scream Fan. I loved it and would also give it a Solid B+. I miss Neve Campbell. I wish she would work mainstream again and soon

Semaj said...

Yeah, Neve has completely fallen off the map, and I remember her being the next big thing, and then disappearing.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47