Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Threshold, Star Trek Voyager

http://www.agonybooth.com/extras/trek/threshold/default.asp?Page=1

Over at the Agony Booth, the great writers over there have finally tackled one of the worst episodes of Voyager, Threshold. Trust me, Voyager was all around a bad show, but this episode takes the Troi cake (with mint frosting). I've never seen a show with so much promise go down the torpedo tubes so fast. What was Brannon Braga thinking when he named his sci-fi show Threshold?

Here is what Albert Walker writes about it.

((Despite his regrets over "Threshold", after Enterprise was canceled Braga developed a sci-fi series for CBS about aliens rewriting people's DNA. And he called it... Threshold. Was he hoping the show would become such an outrageous success that it would completely overshadow the Voyager episode of the same name? If so, it backfired, because the show didn't make it past ten episodes. One can only wonder what next Brannon Braga failure will be worthy of the "Threshold" name.))

Brannon Braga ended up taking the concept and story from Michael DeLuca. I'm guessing DeLuca didn't have all the goofy stuff in his script. Plus, you have to remember that Braga was the one that came out and said that he wanted to make VOY the next X-Files, stupid comment, Braga.

Here's what Jammer had to say about the episode,

((I'll admit I was too nice when I originally reviewed this episode. I held back my cynicism and gave the show the benefit of the doubt, and I even gave it a higher rating than what now appears above this review. But now, months after the original airing of the show, I have had the wonderfully excruciating experience of seeing it again. And to put something mildly for probably the last time in this review, I'll just say that repeat viewings of "Threshold" do not do the show any justice. It actually gets worse with each viewing, and multiple viewings--make that any viewing--should be avoided if at all possible.

"Threshold" is one of the all-time worst episodes of Star Trek ever filmed, as far as I'm concerned. It's an absurd, technobabble disaster that practically deserves to be put up for scrutiny just so it can be torn apart. Non-Trekkers are bound to have a field day with it. If I were a person who had never seen Star Trek before and had the unfortunate experience of tuning into "Threshold," I would probably never tune into Star Trek again.))

Like Albert Walker, Jammer is correct.

This biggest question Braga needs to be asked is “WTF. Why giant salamanders?” So when humans reach warp 10 they mutate into Giant Salamanders? Is this God getting back at them for reaching holy speed?

Make sure to read the Booth's review and make sure to head over to last page to check out what Braga has to say in a video interview. Great stuff.

There are Giant Salamanders, but you see these are human salamanders with human DNA. This is what happens when you break the warp speed Threshold. Stupid yes, but then again this comes from the mind of Braga.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not a trekker/trekkie, but they did have a concept in Voyager that I think should have been the next series.

That whole Time Patrol angle could have been interesting as a series.

Semaj said...

Yeah, if done right, but TPTB would have screwed it up. The entire notion of breaking a time/speed Boundary could have been an interesting concept. Esp if it openned a door to something else.

Anonymous said...

Didn't everyone involved with that threshold episode basically take the attitude of "we've done it, now let's never speak of that again".

Semaj said...

Oh, yeah the entire episode was Reconned out of the star trek Continuity. Totally being ignored by the very writer that wrote the screenplay.

That might have happened with the episode ‘Spock’s Brain’ too.

Anonymous said...

yeah, that was the episode that made me stop liking Voyager, but it wasn't until the episode with Sulu that I stopped watching the show all together. i just hope J.J. Abrams doesn't crush our hopes.

paul

Semaj said...

You, know paul, that episode (sulu) was also written by Braga as well. It would seem that most of the really bad ideas were created by him.

BTW, the sulu ep also showed that Braga knows (and doesnt care) about TOS or Continuity. I'm so happy he hasnt done anything since his show was canned.

Semaj said...

maybe he can work with THE Shatner...

Anonymous said...

I tried dressing up as one of these salamanders at a Star Trek convention once. All I got was a lot of stares and carpet burn on my knees.

You know how bad you have to look to be called a dork at a Star Trek convention?

Semaj said...

those Salamanders are creepy. Did you make the noise they make on the show.

BTW, I would've loved to see that outfit.

Anonymous said...

Omg Semaj, thanks for reminding me of this episode... I forget, was this before they brought Seven "Eye Candy" into the series?

And another weird Braga episode was in TNG, where basically the entire crew de-evolved into "lower" forms of life.

Semaj said...

Yep, this was the 2nd season when Piller and Taylor were battling on who's verison of VOY would be on screen.

Also strange is the fact the Braga started dating Jeri Ryan (7).

I think it was called "genesis", and you're right it was another goofy Braga script. I never understood how they could psyically change into lower lifeforms.

Anonymous said...

Security threw me out before I had a chance to open my mouth.

Well I did one cluck in before I left but clucks don't count do they.

Semaj said...

LOL, seeing someone get thrown out in a Salamander suit, priceless.

Webgrunt said...

The "Threshold" episode is so bad, it's like being continually punched in the face. It's not only the worst episode in all Star Trek (including the animations), it may well be the worst episode of any show ever produced.

I suspect that Braga was trying to see if it was possible to create an episode so lousy it actually killed the people who watched it. Of course, this episode failed in this as well--it doesn't kill you, it just makes you wish you were dead.

Semaj said...

THis episode has been known to destroy planets after its broadcasting.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47