I have bad news. My writing teacher Gary Devon Blum passed away a few days ago. This morning I receive an e-mail with his name on it, and I knew before opening it that he had died. His wife stated that he passed away. I went and visited him a week before he died. It pained me so much to see him in such a way, but I knew he’d be happy to see me. When I saw him, he opened his eyes and he looked so happy to see me appear in the doorway, despite not being able to talk. I told him how my life was going and that I’d plan to visit him again. After I left the hospital, little did I know it would be the last time I’d ever see him. He wrote a few novels and taught at a few local universities, and this was where I met him. Gary was the kind of guy that had a low voice, but was soft-spoken. I can truly say that he was gentle person and cared about others. When I first met him and took his workshops, he helped me get through a difficult time in my life. He showed me that...
Comments