Thursday, October 19, 2006

Lost (S2 Review)

Lost Season 2

After ending the first season with a bang, the Lost writers found an interesting way to open up Season 2. They showed us what happened inside the Hatch when the survivors blew it open. Desmond was found living inside, and it was neat to see him live his life as normal as one could live in a hatch. The Hatch ended up becoming the central point to Season 2, answering some major questions along the way. Yet, the hatch also brought new questions to the table.

The Hatch also represented the main theme of Lost in the 2nd season, and that theme was Faith. Each character in some way had to deal with their faith. Mr. Eko and Locke were the main characters that were forced put their beliefs to the test throughout the season. Jack early on was forced to realize he could not fix everything and everyone around him. Good stuff here.

The show also got rid one of their worst characters on the show, Shannon. While I can’t stand Hurley as a character, Maggie Grace’s Shannon was a poorly written character. After Boone died, she become very useless to the show. With survivors from the tail-section arriving, she had to go. The show also got rid of the cave sets, thus uniting the two groups, but they did it off screen, and only mentioned it one time.

The writing in the 2nd season seemed sharper. They seemed to tie the looming storyline of The Others into the overall Hatch story nicely. The Henry Gale subplot was freaking great, masterfully played by Michael Emerson. The plot twist toward the end dealing with a certain character was shocking, and two of the main characters ended up dying because of his actions.

Michael Giacchino work once again shines as he continues to compose some of the best music ever heard on TV. More shows need to switch to live performers, because it gives the show a bigger feel.

Grade A-
Lucas would have had CGIed little people into this shot…
_________________________________________________
“How’s it going, Brother?”
_______________________________________________
Mr. Eko realizes that he just Sharted in his pants.
_____________________________________________
I don’t care what anyone says this picture just freaks me out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think desmond says it in a more 'brotha' way, but that's my favourite comment on the whole show :)

Anonymous said...

I love the scene where Jin goes 'Have a cluckity cluck cluck day!' :D

And you're right, I've never heard better music on TV than Giacchino's work. I've also just finished watching the entire first two seasons of Alias - incredible stuff.

Semaj said...

Blayde : Lol,That's it!. I didn't know how to spell so I used the generic word. But, you're right. You know now I'm starting to use it with people around me. They kind of look at me strangely.


Yvonne : Giacchino's work on Alias is remarkable. I love the way he mixes Techno with orchestra pieces. I need to pick up some of these CD, because there some good tracks in there.
BTW, I am going to try to pick up LOST's season 2 soundtrack this weekend.

Anonymous said...

If you manage to get the Lost S2 soundtrack, could you post up a review? I'd love to see what you think before I go and try and look for it myself.

Semaj said...

Sure, no problem. I just sent a special order for the CD a few minutes ago at Barnes and Noble. I should get it by tue or wed.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47