Thursday, September 13, 2007

Grindhouse: Death Proof

Grindhouse: Death Proof

While I stated before that I didn’t care about some of the meaner aspects of the Planet Terror, here in Quentin Tarantino’s half of the double feature the violence is justified and done in a completely serious manner. The movie is nicely crafted and well written that we generally are able to care for these young ladies. They seem like real people and their interactions are enjoyable to watch.

Some people have complained that the first 20-30 minutes is nothing more than an episode of The View except that these women are attractive. I have to disagree with that notion. There are two sets of women in this story. During the first half, we are treated to long scenes of these women talking and getting high and just having a good time. However, there’s a threat looming in the background. When the horrible incident happens we feel for these poor ladies. And trust me that first car crash is really intense and brutal. Everyone in the theater was shocked.

Kurt Russell is simply outstanding as Stuntman Mike. He’s both charming and sinister at the same time. He’s simply a cool character that you both like and hate at the same time. Now, I heard you can see Stuntman Mike in the background of the second section of Death Proof.

Rosario Dawson is sexy and charming as ever. While she literally and figuratively takes a backseat to the other very strong female characters in this movie, she shouldn’t be overlooked. Zoe Bell and Tracie Thoms steal the movie away from Russell. These are some cool women, and I loved to hang out with them. Hell, I want to marry them.

This leads to a kick ass car chase, which reminded me of those crazy Dukes of Hazzard chases from the 80s. Plus, I really loved the huge twist toward the end of the movie, which I won’t give away here, but people cheered when it happened.

Death Proof is a simple story that is both serious and funny at the same time. Quentin Tarantino has shown that he can pull off complex car stunts while retaining his sharp dialogue. I haven’t had this much fun in a theater since Transformers. This movie is fun and is only slightly weakened by being attached to Planet Terror. BTW, there was a lot of cheering at the end.

Grade: A-

Next up, I’ll have my parting thoughts on the entire Grindhouse experience.

Now, I could make a cheerleading comment, but I won’t. I don’t need the entire squad coming after me again.

_____________________________________________________

Just waiting for this car to transform into an Autobot.

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47