Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Sonic Rush: Wrapped in Black

Sonic Rush: Wrapped in Black

I posted about this song years ago. I wondered where they got the sample “Too Black, Too Strong” from. Some people surmised that it came from Malcolm X. This video and this wiki has confirmed that it comes from a Malcolm X speech.   I believe it is from his Grassroots speech and it is an anti-integration remark about coffee.  
I don't agree with Malcolm's remarks here, but it is interesting to hear it here.  
It seems odd to use the voice of a civil rights leader (some would say he wasn't a CR leader, but he changed his message later in life)  in sample for a game, but it works for the retro feel. Plus, the composer used a lot samples from older songs for the entire sound track. I actually like this song a lot.
So you have a Micheal Jackson and Malcolm X connection to Sonic.  
Side Note:  I'm sure Malcolm would be pissed to know that the Nation of Islam is connected to Scientology today.  

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47