Monday, June 08, 2009

Keep Rolling, rolling

Smoke em if ya got em.
______________________________

Uh, I don’t like that…

I was riding on the Louisville River Front Park pier, and I started to ride my bike through one of the main trails in the city that goes along the riverfront. It is a trail that takes you through the West and South Ends of Louisville.

As I proceed down the trail, (BTW, the trail follows along the same path that Bill Murray goes in the movie Stripes at the beginning, with those huge plants in the river.), I came across a clearing where many people like to fish. In that clearing, there were two rather dirty looking bum-types. They were white, but very dark because you can tell they spent all their time out in the sun. So, I figured they were bums. They both had bicycles, mountain bikes, and looked over at me as I passed.

One of them motioned for me and called out to me. “Hey, come here.”

I turned around and rode toward them, but kept my distance. Here we go again, they’re going to ask me for money, I thought. I usually amuse myself every time by making up reasons I don’t have the money on me.

This time was different.

“Hey, man, do you have any rolling papers?” one of the guys asked.

Rolling papers, really? You’re asking me if I have rolling papers, so you can smoke weed?

I rolled my eyes and told them, “nope”.

Why would they stop me and no one else? It had to because I was the only black guy riding through the area. Do us black guys always have stocks of rolling papers on us at all times, just in case a weed party brakes out? I’d like to know if I’m required by law to carry some.

I got a good laugh, because it seems pretty bold to ask for rolling papers out there in the public like that. I could have been an off duty cop or something.

And, what if I did have rolling papers? (I didn’t)

Oh, boy…

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47