Monday, August 11, 2008

Pineapple Express

Pineapple Express

Here’s a side note, if you will. I went to the ticket booth to buy a ticket for Pineapple Express. A fairly old guy behind me, who looked like Isaac Asimov, came up to my side after I asked for my ticket and asked, “What’s that movie about?” I smiled and said, “It’s a pot movie.” He nodded, but looked rather confused by my answer.

And, that’s what PE is about, pot. It’s a movie full of people smoking pot and shooting people. So, what’s the premise? A pot smoker goes on the run with his dealer after witnessing a murder.

Think of this movie as a Harold and Kumar film, but with better writing. It has all the story beats as the Harold and Kumar, but also an added bonus of being an action movie too. While it has a better script, the movie isn’t exactly that good either. This probably has something to do with the pot-smoking culture, which I’m not a member of. I just don’t “get it”.

But, there are some witty moments that make this movie better than it has any right to be. (Such as Rogen and Franco in the woods together and freaking out because they’re high.) Judd Apatow I think is the reason this movie has some decent scenes that are truly funny. On the other side of the coin, there were also many times the movie stumbles along and doesn’t seem to know where it’s going. Yet, some of the action scene are well directed and parody the action movies Rogen and folks enjoyed watching while stoned.

Rogen and Franco work well together. This probably has to do with the fact that Rogen and Franco starred in Freaks and Geeks together. It is also nice to see Rosie Perez again. The two hit-men weren’t that interesting, but it feels like there is an entire subplot involving them cut out of the movie.

In the end, it’s a pot movie with violence and humor, but not anything groundbreaking. Pot smokers might get something more out of it, but it is an alright movie that made me laugh a few times.

Grade: C

___________________________________

When you see a guy walking down a road with no pants on, remember the three Ds.

Don't ask

Don't tell

Don't care

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47