Over the past few months, I’ve been watching the first two seasons of Lost on ABC.com. It’s been easier to see the bigger picture and the fact they are setting up things ahead of time.
One character that continues to stand out from the rest is John Locke. A wonderfully flawed but interesting character masterfully played by Terry O’Quinn. O’Quinn would later win an Emmy Award for his role.
At first, he merely comes across as “The Great White Hunter”, but he’s much more than that. He’s not exactly a good person, but not a villain either. You see a man that comes from pathetic beginnings, but truly find his calling on the island. If only we could all be that lucky.
Here are 10 reasons John Locke is one of the most fascinating characters on TV right now.
10. Mr. Locke enjoys blowing shit up: Repeatedly, this guy has proven he’s like a child with firecrackers. He’s blown up The Swan, The Flame and the Others’ Submarine. Don’t let this guy get a hold of explosives.
9. He doesn’t like Mikhail AKA Patchy too much: Not only does Locke throw Patchy into that sonic barrier to kill him. He then beats the snot out of Patchy when he wants to see Jacob. Who knows what would have happened to Patchy if Locke still had that C4 on him.
8. Looked into the Smoke Monster and Survived: As he chased a boar into the bushes, the smoke monster appears and Locke merely looks at it. Granted, Mr. Eko also did the same thing, but Eko was as a yo-yo when Smokey got pissed.
7. Jacob can talk to him: Probably one of the creepiest moments in the third season happened when Jacob called out “Help me” to Locke. This shows that Locke has the power to listen to Jacob just like Ben Linus. Not all of us can see and hear creepy old ghosts in old cabins.
6. He hunts and gathers his own food: During the very first week on the island, he goes out and hunts for boar. Any man that comes with his own set of hunting knives is the kind of guy you want on your team.
5. Is one with the Island: He seems to have a spiritual connection to the island. It’s kind of like the force, but weaker. Hell, he even spouts out Yoda like speeches.
4. He’s indestructible…sort of: He has been shot in the gut, had a rod through his leg, lost his voice and survived an electromagnetic explosion.
3. Throws a knife into the back of Naomi: Yeah, throwing a knife into the back of an attractive lady like Naomi was mean, but still badass.
2. Becomes the Leader of the Others: As far as we know…It seems natural.
1. He was wheelchair bound, but fully recovered after he crashed on the island: There’s no other way around, this is the reason he’s such an interesting character. He witnessed a miracle before his very eyes. He firsthand discovers the true power of the island and is the reason for his faith.