Sunday, March 02, 2008

Lost: The Constant

Lost: The Constant

Starting almost exactly where last week’s episode left off, we see that Sayid and Desmond finally land on the freighter of their ‘rescuers’. The reaction from the crew to the newcomers are not exactly a thrilled ones. After an encounter with a bad storm, Desmond isn’t quite himself, and begins to freak out, in a way Desmond can do.

I always like time travel stories in stories, which is probably the reason I loved TNG and DS9 so much. Time travel stories are a way of telling us a story in a completely different manner. (Think Yesterday’s Enterprise)

I know that the Lost producers and writers have hinted that there were time travel elements throughout the show’s history. So, this time travel stuff has never been a surprise to me. Plus, it is good to see Desmond get some screen time this season. Sayid is always a fun to watch, but I’m surprised they let him walk around the boat with the gun up to that point. I liked how Sayid handled the situation throughout the episode.

This time around, the writers show us a different side of the Desmond time travel issue. This is Desmond of 1996, and he jumps between 96 and 04. I liked the sudden jumping between times and how it affected Desmond in a negative way. Henry Ian Cusick does a splendid job pretty being on screen the entire time during the show. But, he is not the only one to shine in this episode.

I also liked that we got a sneak peek into Daniel Faraday’s past, while also giving us insight into why he seems a bit off in the present. Is he jumping around time just like Desmond? Jeremy Davies is certainly a good addition to the cast. (Yeah, that chalkboard scene was certainly a tribute to Back to the Future II.)

We got many answers as to why and how Desmond has jumped and looked through time. Here’s hoping they can keep the ball rolling with the next episode.

Because this season is better focused and written starting out, that I’m going to hate to see this season only end on 13 episodes.

Who is Ben’s spy on the ship and why is he helping Sayid and Desmond? I’m guessing it is Michael and he’s also Ben’s spy as well.

Grade: B+

Who knew Time Travel can make you look like a junkie?
________________________________________________
Desmond: From Button pusher to fortuneteller...
I call that a promotion

4 comments:

Yvonne Tran said...

Just watched this ep a couple of hours ago!

Michael as the spy seems way too obvious - I'm stuck for any other possibilities though ...

Semaj said...

Good to see you pop in Yvonne. I delighted to see you again.

Yeah, I can see your point about Michael. He seems like the only one off the island that has to prove something.

And, the actions like saving Sayid and Desmond will help him redeem himself. Plus, these guys would know who he is.

But, yeah I hope it's someone completely different.

Yvonne Tran said...

Thanks!

I actually really like the theory that Sayid is Ben's spy - and with this ep - present Sayid could be future Sayid ... yup, I love the time travelling.

Who's your favourite new character, Semaj? Mine's a toss-up between Faraday and Miles.

Semaj said...

Faraday followed by Miles. Faraday has the "Doc Brown feel to him". I certainly dont trust the British woman

I've met people just like Miles. they're always fun to be around.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47