Monday, March 31, 2008

I am Legend

I am Legend

Vampires, deer and Shrek, oh my.

Yes, all these things are in the movie. The movie is much better than I thought it was going to be. Sure, the CGI vampires in some shots are a bit cheap and needed to be run through the computers a few more times. However, the vampires are only one factor in the movie. And, best thing about this movie is Will Smith.

It amazes me how well Mr. Smith handled himself in all these scenes, with only him interacting with only a dog, his only companion. Will does a masterful job as a man that hasn’t seen a human being in three years. Smith’s character, Robert Neville, is a man that needs support from his dog, whom he treats as almost human, and interacts with lifeless mannequins when he goes to the local video store. He goes through a routine everyday in order to keep himself from loosing his mind.

There is a sad but touching moment between his dog and him toward the middle of the film that will almost make you cry. The long quiet scenes between Will and his dog are the reason to watch this movie. This is probably Will best performance ever. He’s certainly come a long way from his Fresh Prince days.

The FX on the other hand ranges from bad to fair. There are some good CGI moments, the zombie dogs, one attack at night, and few places here and there. But, they needed to spend a bit more time on the effects though, because we are fully aware there are some compelling CGI characters in other movies these days.

However, that shouldn’t take away from the good storytelling in this remake from two older films. (I would also like to note that this is a very violent PG-13 film and probably isn’t suitable for young children.) The story is more Sci-fi than horror, but it does retain a few horror elements.

Despite its CGI flaws, this well-acted and well-directed movie shouldn’t be missed. Depending on the ending you decide to watch, you’ll get a better if different understanding on what happens in the movie.

Grade: B+

Note: On the DVD, there are two equally compelling endings to the film. I actually like the dropped ending better than the theatrical ending, but the theatrical ending isn’t weak by any standards. They both work for different reasons.

Here are the different endings, but don’t watch them unless you’ve seen the movie. (Though both endings in the link aren’t complete)

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809768369/info

Insert your own Fresh Prince joke...

6 comments:

Blayde said...

I haven't seen this movie yet, but doesn't that bridge in your picture look like the one from I, Robot?

Did BRAAINNS come after AI :p

Ammaro said...

the movie wasnt bad... the backdrop of new york is ridiculously amazing, especially at the beginning when hes just driving through... wow.

good movie. alternate ending? cool! gotta check it out

Semaj said...

Blayde: You might be right. I think it is the same bridge. The bridge plays a major role in the film’s flashback too. (Btw, the robots in I. Robot were better modeled than the vamps here.)
There’s probably some shared universe between the 3 movies in some way.

Ammaro: Agreed, the seen of Will walking around in an empty city is amazing sight, plus seeing the greenery taking over the city. The ending just completely changes the way you will view the film. I like both endings though.

PJ said...

I really enjoyed this movie, though it's not the kind of movie I'd normally watch. I think I prefer the theatrical ending, though it was interesting to see the alternative one.

I think that they should have changed the title as it seems so different from the book, and the reason for the book's title doesn't figure at all in the movie.

Anonymous said...

Fresh Prince joke,

"Streets got wild, my mom got scared, she said off to a deserted NYC with vampires?!!!"

paul

Semaj said...

PJ: After watching the first trailer, I really didn't think I'd like this movie.
I heard the alt-ending was the original one, but was changed at the last moment. you're right they should have changed the title.


Paul: Lol, I'd love to see that sitcom. Will Smith dealing with vampires while making us laugh in the process

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47