Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sequels that don’t cut it

Hilary Swank: “Mr. Miyagi, will you teach me the ways of Karate?”

Mr. Miyagi: “Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind. If you wanna test me, I'm sure you'll find that all the things, I'll teach ya is sure to beat ya, nevertheless you'll get a lesson from teacher now”

Hilary Swank: “Uh, you’re quoting from PaRappa the Rapper.”

Mr. Miyagi: “Kick. Punch. Chop. Block. Once more now, Kick. Punch. Chop, And Block.”

Hilary Swank: “You’re not even trying.”

Mr. Miyagi: “Hmm, so says the woman that starred in The Reaping.”

________________________________________________


Screen Crave.com has “9 Examples of Sequels Ruining Great Franchise

I agree with their findings, and I’d like to add my two cents to it.

There comes a point when there are too many sequels, and the franchise simply becomes a joke. (Like the Batman movies)

The Karate Kid 3 & 4: I’ve come to really hate the third film because of the sheer stupidity of Daniel Larusso. Despite all the things he’s learned in the first two movies, he falls into the stupid trap by Ponytail Guy and Martin Kove. Even though the movie takes place right after Karate Kid II (they’re leaving the airport), Daniel looks older and slightly heavier. After the events of 1 and 2, the character has to grow, but part 3 never bothers to care about that.

Now, the fourth one is just as shitty as it gets. Hilary Swank is the ‘next’ Karate Kid. When you can’t even get Ralph Macchio to make a cameo, you know the movie is in trouble.

Don’t forget Space Church guy Will Smith is remaking the first movie…this isn’t going to be good.

Jaws 2: It is a weaker film, but it is still not a bad flick. Plus, there are some mean and shocking moments (Such as the ‘Good’ girl getting eaten by the shark). I also like John Williams’s score too. The franchise went off the deep end (pun intended) with Jaws 3D.

Batman and Robin: I’ve already ripped into this movie enough. I still get mad when someone thinks this film is okay. Damn you, Bat Nipples ™ and neon lights.

Alien 3: On-set fighting between David Fincher and the FOX Studio plagued the third film. From pre-production to post-production, the film went through some many changes that I think it harmed the final product. Remember the early trailer hinting at Earth being the next location for the movie?

Jurassic Park III: The movie has no ending, and it a rehash of parts 1 and 2. I have to say that The Lost World (JPII) is a better film despite the strange too far left-leaning “message”. There was talk of a part IV…

Terminator III: I enjoyed this movie even with its gapping flaws. But it is too much like T2 with the fact they send the same model back to protect John Connor again. How about a chick next time…wait they already did that with the TV series. Like I stated before, I enjoyed the movie, but it contradicts the second film’s hopeful ending. Was the third film really needed?

2 comments:

MC said...

I am ok with KK 3 for one reason... Mr. Miyagi punking Martin Kove in that flashback.

Semaj said...

That is a great scene worth repeating. For me, I can't get through any scene with Thomas Ian Griffith (Silver) in it. This guy is just so bad in the movie and makes Kove look like a better actor.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47