Sunday, December 23, 2007

What the hell is a hipster?

Picture from here

What the hell is a hipster?

http://www.hipsterhandbook.com/

There’s this creepy skinny pale guy at work and I just realized that he is a hipster. At first, I thought he was an emo. However doing some research, I know he isn’t emo. He wears truck driver hats and old Post Office sweaters (but he works at UPS, figure that out.) He always seems stoned and out of it.

Looking at the Urban Dictionary, I get a better idea what the hell these people are.

From one of the post…

((The modern Bohemians. A mid-twenties person who works at a low paying job, is interested in "Artsy things" Hipsters tend to swarm around the determined "Hipster" part of town, ex. Wicker Park in Chicago. Hipster Ladies should have short hair and wear thrift shop clothes and Male Hipsters should be anemically skinny to let people know that they are poor and cant afford enough food.))

Okay, I sometimes get these people confused with Emos, but they seem to be in happier moods than your emos of the world. In Louisville, we have a lot of Hipsters, and hipster clothing stores (Note: used clothing stores.) Why would someone pay money to wear used clothing, when you can go to Walmart and get cheaper newer clothes?

I often wonder if this is the next evolutionary step for geeks. Are Hipsters the mutants of geeks? (Like the X-Men.) They aren’t evolved emos, because we know that emos don’t evolve because they commit suicide or cut themselves.

Listen, I have some hipsters’ qualities, but I don’t try to make a trend out of it. I think I like too many mainstream things to be let into the hipster crowd. How does one get out of the hipster mode?

If you are a hipster, here are a few tips into getting out of this weird cult.

1. Buy some new clothes: Do you really want to get used clothes that someone has sweated in? I like collecting the Ducktales shirts too, but I keep them in a glass case, but I will not sporting them outside of the local coffee shop.

2. Truck Driver hats should be worn by freaking Truck Drivers: If you don’t drive a semi truck, then don’t wear that ugly ass hat.

3. Drink Starbucks: Okay, I hate that company, but you’re still paying for overpriced coffee from those underground places. Don’t you want to walk around with that Starbucks logo? Okay, just put a sticker of the Thundercats logo over the Starbucks logo, it will match your vintage shirt.

4. There are some good RIAA backed songs out there: Uh, on second thought, there isn’t. You have me there, Hipster. Damn it…

Here are two videos on hipster-ing

This dude wants to be a hipster: I love the awful clothes and eating of baby food (?)

Annoying Hipster Douchebag: This guy is great. However, saying Annoying Hipster Douchebag is pretty redundant. They all mean the same thing really. I love the 'trucker' hat this guy is wearing.

_____________________________________

Uh, cool?

5 comments:

MC said...

The key to identifying your particular hipster was those Post Office sweaters. Hipsters tend to wear t-shirts and other symbols which they feel are ironic. That's why you'll see them wearing t's with the stupidest symbols and slogans on them... because they believe that their own hipness counteracts the general undesirability of said items.

PJ said...

Now I'm scared; I'm a "mid-twenties person who works at a low paying job, is interested in "Artsy things" but I don't have short hair or wear second-hand clothing. What does that make me?

Semaj said...

MC: That makes since now. He does wear some stupid symbols and shirts that usually end up with me asking him about his choice in wearing it. So they are fueled by being ironic? these folks are strange, though not as crazy as emos.


PJ: Perhaps 1/2 a hipster? I have a few hipster trends myself. Certain mainstream things get on my nerves and I usually rant about it.

I might just be a non-conformist, perhaps you too

MC said...

To be a hipster, you have to sort of embrace it. It is rare to be an accidental hipster by the strictest of definitions.

By the loosest though, all us 20-35 year old pop culture bloggers would be considered in some way hipsters, though I disagree with that assessment.

Semaj said...

I was actually thinking about that. Being a pop culture/ movie blogger growing up in the 80s, I started to wonder if we were a part of this subculture. what you just said makes me feel a little better

There have been many times when I've know what symbols and merchandise a hipster has worn and actually had a discussion with them about it.

I think we need to start a new trend of the Pop Culture Bloggers, with clothing and music.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47