11. Kup: He’s like the Dr. McCoy of the movie. He’s old and grumpy. I also enjoyed the acting by Lionel Stander in this role. I think Hot Rod and Kup made a great pair. It’s too bad they didn’t bother to carry this relationship over to the third and fourth seasons of the show. BTW, you have to love the futuristic pickup truck he transformers into. (Stander passed away in 1994.)
12. Orson Welles playing Unicron: Yep, Welles at this point in his life was washed up and broke, so he took this role without even knowing what the heck the movie was even about. He later told someone that he played a ‘planet that ate other planets’. He passed away soon after completing his work for the film. He was very sick when he recorded his voice work for the movie and the producers had to use enhancements to make his voice sound good. Yeah, he was only cast because they needed some big names to market the movie, but it was still cool.
13. Scatman Crothers’ last role: I always enjoyed the Jazz character and the voice actor behind him. It was neat that Jazz ended up living through the movie, when you consider most of the season 1 characters were killed off. We only get to see Jazz a few times during season 3, but he would no longer speak due to Crothers’ death.
14. “Oh, shit”: Yep, this line was originally in the theatrical cut of the film, but it was later cut from many VHS copies. The writers wanted to make sure the movie got a PG rating instead of G. I remember that line got a lot of laugher from kids in the crowd. However, I’m sure parents weren’t too happy about it. (BTW, it was reinserted back into the DVD releases.)
15. Ultra Magnus: Sure, this guy ended up being a bad leader, but he was voiced by f’ing Robert Stack. Even though this actor is dead, Stack still rules.For an old fart, his auto-mode was fairly advance looking.