Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Thoughts on the Song of the South (Follow up on The Samurai Frog's post) Part 2 of 2

Does that mean we should ban the film from being released in the US? Nope, I agree with the Samarui Frog on this. It should be released on DVD and Blue Ray. Like he’s stated, it’s not even close to being as bad as Birth of a Nation.

Here’s why;

1. Let people decide if this is a film worth value for themselves.

2. Make sure to include commentary by people that support this film and those that don’t.

3. Bonus material with the pros and cons of the film. Making of videos and deleted storyboards.

Keep in mind that the racism here in this film isn’t that bad. Watch Soul Plane or Birth of a Nation for that. I just think Disney is being chicken shit because they won’t release this movie here in the US, but pretty much everyone outside North American can get their hands on a copy in some way. Or at least that was what I've read.

Further reading;

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/sots.asp

Here’s a Song of the South joke: Uncle Jemima’s Pure Liquor. It gets you so drunk you start seeing animated birds and pigs.

3 comments:

SamuraiFrog said...

Ah, Uncle Jemima.

Interesting perspective on Song of the South, especially since, as I said, I'm a white guy. I don't think the movie is racist as much as naive. But again, as a white guy, I'm sure there are things I don't pick up on.

As for the broken dialect, there's a lot of that in Disney's earlier films, and not just from black people. I think it has something to do with Walt growing up in the Midwest, where you hear a lesser degree of the same sort of broken English and slang. Certainly Goofy and Donald Duck speak in a similar manner.

But I do think Disney's mistake now is keeping a lid on it. It makes it seem that the film is, like The Birth of a Nation, overtly and INTENTIONALLY racist. It's not. And Disney has released a number of cartoons that are racially insensitive, especially towards African Americans and Native Americans, purely in the name of comedy. If Disney can release those films and have Leonard Maltin put them in context, why not this one?

Thanks for commenting on this.

SamuraiFrog said...

By "lesser degree of the same sort of broken English," I meant the kind of broken English you hear in the South. My mom's side of the family is from Georgia, and I hear a lot of that. Plus, my paternal grandfather was from Louisiana, and there were times I just couldn't understand what the hell he was saying.

Semaj said...

Your post was extensive and interesting. It seems that Disney actually allows people sell illegal copies.

Thanks for convey your thoughts on the movie and Disney in general.

Yeah, in the deep South, it is sometimes hard to understand.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47