Saturday, December 01, 2007

Jeff Gerstmann vs. Gamespot? (a follow up on a MC post)

I have no idea what he is doing in this picture, but he should stop pointing that thing at me...

Make sure to head over to MC's blog and read his post about Gamespot firing Jeff Gerstmann. Here's what happened, Gerstmann wrote and taped a review for the game Kane and Lynch. The review wasn't exactly positive. Well, word has it that Eidos pressured Gamespot to fire Gerstmann over his bad review. While not all the facts lean toward that connection, the lack of statements by Gerstmann, Eidos, and Gamespot just makes it seem true.

I am no fan of Gerstmann, but I hope this isn't the case behind his sacking. Remember, this has been happening in the movie sector too. A certain negative video review about a FOX movie was removed from YouTube recently by FOX, until it was reinstated.

People around the Internet are pissed off about this sacking. However, people should know that this type of thing has been going on for years. Nintendo and EA have threatened countless times, back in the day, to removing ads from magazines because of negative reviews. But, firing a reviewer over his opinion probably is far worse of an offense.

Some people have claimed that there was more to his firing than Eidos. I'm not sold on that theory. The fact no one is really talking about it is bothersome.

There is more information out there out this too.

From the Kotaku site

((Gerstmann has been no stranger to controversial reviews, as his scores of 10 for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 and 8.8 for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess had sensitive internet users up in arms. It's now possible that many bitter fanboys may have had their wishes for his firing granted. ))

You know, I take that back about not being a fan of his. I love the fact he pissed off the Zelda fanboys with his Zelda review.

I watched his video review and I have to agree with him. Why play a game with some unlikeable characters? Yes, the GTA series has some criminals as the main stars, but you want them to make it, because they are likable anti-heroes. Does every character have to say the words 'F' you' the whole time? Not even GTA does that.

Let it go, Eidos. It's not like you haven't received negative reviews before. What about all those shitty Tomb Raider games?

Side Note

Here's a flip side of the whole gaming journalism angle from Tommy Tallarico. I have to agree with Mr. Tallarico here. There's too much negative fanboyism in gaming now, especially in the gaming press.

2 comments:

MC said...

You have to remember that I was ragging at Jeff by proxy when I wrote that entry about game reviewing needing reform as I did mention his 10/10 review for Tony Hawk 3.

Again, I've not been able to confirm the rumors.

Semaj said...

yeah, that was a good post.

I wonder if Jeff isn't allowed to speak because of a contract thing, etc.

I am little mad he wont speak about it and clear it up or confirm why he was fired.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47