Thursday, December 13, 2007

Timbaland and the Acidjazzed Evening

Timbaland and the Acidjazzed Evening

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Timbaland_plagiarism_controversy

The reason I decided to post this old news clip was because it is not always clear what is simply sampling or ripping off a former artist. I actually like Timbaland’s beats, and he was one of the main reasons Justin Timberlake even has a good solo career now. In a lot of ways, he’s made hip-hop fun again with his interesting beats and bright songs. More DJs need to learn from his style. Rap Music can be informative and hardcore, but there is room for joy filled hip-hop music as well.

However, did Timbaland actually steal music from Finnish demoscener Janne Suni? It should be noted that Suni, the writer of the song, has made a statement that the whole case has been closed and Suni won't talk about it.

I believe there is enough evidence to conclude that Timbaland used a large portion of Suni’s music, but is it enough to call it stealing?

I am not certain of that because hip-hop is about sampling and mixing things around. It is the very heart of rap music from the beginning. DJs have been using everything around them to make a musical beat, which includes demo music. On the other, I do believe the original artist needs to at least receive some type of payment for the sampling of their music. Anyway, it looks like it has been settled. I just thought I’d make a post about it.

Links and videos below.

Here's the Nelly Furtado video and song:

The whole thing is detailed here. Listen the whole thing. Is this music ripping or just sampling.

Here is the song picked apart.

Here is the way it is supposed to be played. It reminds me of those Sonic the Hedgehog songs from the games. It is a pretty good song.

Man, I need to get one of these music programs and try out my own remixes.

2 comments:

PJ said...

I know that sampling is an important part of modern hip-hop, but that particular example is too obvious to be ignored. Timberland should have credited the original writer for the loop. This disappoints me, as he's one of my favourite producers.

Semaj said...

Yeah, He should have given the guy credit for his music. there is too much of the original song in the sample to ignore it.

However, it looks like the original artist has gotten paid, because he's not talking about it.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47