Thursday, December 20, 2007

Stardust (review)

Stardust

Before you read this review, make sure to check out Blayde's review of the movie as well.

Stardust, the movie, is based on Neil Gaiman's comic book/novella of the same name. What is the best way to describe Stardust? It’s an adult fairytale with a charming and sometimes comical storyline. It tells a tale of a place in England where there’s a portal to another world from our own world. A guy from the English town sneaks into the other world and ends up getting it on with some hot chick. He later receives a baby from her, after he returns to his world. This baby ends up becoming our hero.

The story centers on a fallen star that crashed into the magical land of Stormhold. Everyone wants to get to the star for varying reasons. However there is a catch, the star is actually a rather attractive lady. Even though she is very old, she has a very child-like way of looking at the world, because this is her first time being human.

I found Stardust to be very enjoyable and fun. It reminded me of the Princess’s Bride for the 2000’s. Michelle Pfeiffer as the main witch is a treat, and her performance is very good. Actually, all around the acting is very good. However, the character that steals the show is Robert De Niro’s character. He plays a sky pirate, but not the way you think. I am not going to give it away, but I got a kick out of this character and his crew.

I am a guy, but I loved the romantic interaction between the two young lead characters. I enjoyed Tristan and The Star’s playful banter and their unspoken love. The love story never seemed forced or corny, which is rare these days.

In the end, I really found myself enjoying this movie and surprised how fun it was. So, give it a chance. Yes, there is still a place for fairytales in our time people.

Grade B+

Catwoman is pissed.
____________________________________
Robert De Niro: You talkin to me?
_____________________________________
I loved all the Goat scenes and jokes.

2 comments:

Mayren said...

I just watched this DVD last nite so it's neat to see you have seen it recently too. I love NEtflix.
I thought that this movie was a nice original fairytale that could appeal to many age groups. I loved it.

Semaj said...

Yeah, it has some nice modern touches like the kungfu old guard. I need to get into Netflix sometime next year, if I can.

The movie certainly works on many age levels.

It's a shame because this movie didnt make that much money. (like the Golden Compass),

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47