Thursday, October 04, 2007

Desperate Housewives and Desperate Jokes

Desperate Jokes

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=3686747

To get an interesting point of view from someone from the Philippines I went to Rico’s blog and read his comments on this Filipino joke. He has a very interesting take on it, and I agree with him. Every race will laugh at the racist joke as long as it isn’t about their own races, but are up in arms over remarks when it is about them.

I also see the other side of it, so I can understand why Filipinos are angry over this remark.

(("Listen, Susan, I know for a lot of women the word `menopause'" has negative connotations. You hear `aging,' `brittle bones,' `loss of sexual desire,'" the gynecologist tells her.

"OK, before we go any further, can I check these diplomas? Just to make sure they aren't, like, from some med school in the Philippines?" Susan fires back.))

The joke is tasteless by making a negative remark about the medical schools in the Philippines. It sort of rubs people the wrong way in the same manner as the Imus remark “Nappy Headed hos” did. It is implying that this or that race isn’t capable of doing something. And, that is sending the wrong message.

Read Below,

(("A statement that devalues Filipinos in healthcare is extremely unfounded, considering the overwhelming presence of Filipinos and Filipino Americans in the medical field," the petition read in part.))

If I were a writer on that show, here’s how I would have written the joke.

"OK, before we go any further, can I check these diplomas? Just to make sure they aren't, like, from some junior college or something.”

See, same idea and same tone as the other version, but now making fun of an establishment and not a race or country. (Though I’m sure the National Junior College Association will come after me with boycotts and shotguns.)

On the other hand, the more bad press and boycotts will only give this overrated show more ratings. Remember that Desperate Housewives ad that people were up in arms over a few years ago?

Hey, she was a transporter chief before becoming a Desperate Housewife. The big 80s hair

6 comments:

Blayde said...

lol, i cannot wait for that ep, i'm watching the TNG series from the beginning.

Semaj said...

yeah, she's in the second season. I'd like to see what you think about the show after watching the 1st season.

I'll be reviewing an episode of the 1st season soon.

MC said...

The thing that boggles my mind about these outrages is outside of the French and Mexicans, Canadians get absolutely rocked when it comes to American putdowns on television and in the movies, and aside from the furor a visit from Triumph the Insult comic Dog caused, we don't get all bent out of shape about it.

We just banter back.

Anonymous said...

Why am I not surprised that you found a way to relate this to Star Trek! :D

Damn it, I'm gonna buy the complete series set as soon as I can! Would you believe I haven't watched Best of Both Worlds?!?

Semaj said...

I can see your point too. You dont see too many boycotts from Canada about insults.

I just like how DH has a way of getting free press every year, which never hurts them.

Semaj said...

Rico: Yeah, that's right they are releasing the complete set. I should pick it up. I also heard they're going to re master some episodes for HD TV

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47