Thursday, August 23, 2007

Zodiac (2007)

Zodiac

This film, directed by the skillful David Fincher, is based on the actual events that happened with a real killer that went by the name Zodiac. The killer left messages and codes for the police and the news to figure out. What we get in this movie is slow but nicely crafted story about the murders.

And, this is why some people will either hate it or really enjoy this movie. The film goes at an extremely slow place that today’s movie-going crowd might be turned off by this type of storytelling, while others will love the slower pace and finely crafted story. The murder investigation is the central story with a few minor character stories thrown in for good measure. It is also worth mentioning that the movie is long and doesn’t have a true ending.

However, the acting from most of the cast is outstanding, even bringing energy to otherwise boring scenes. Jake Gyllenhaal (Brokeback, He’s rocking it), Ruffalo, and Robert Downey Jr. are just remarkable in their roles. I really dug Downey Jr. the most.

While not for everyone, those that enjoy slower movies will like this one a lot.

Grade B

(The only reason I’m not giving this a B+ is because I’m waiting to see Fincher’s Director’s cut later this year)

Brian Cox plays real Lawyer Melvin Belli. He was involved in the murder investigation as well. Melvin Belli was also famous for his horrible role in the third season Star Trek episode And the Children Shall Lead, which he played the character Gorgan.

Note: Rumor has it he got the role because the third season executive producer was good friends with him, despite the fact he wasn’t an actor.

_____________________________________________

Agent: “Hey, Jake, this is your agent calling. They want you to star in Brokeback Mountain 2: Backing Harder. Are you interested?”

Jake: “…”

6 comments:

SamuraiFrog said...

I caught this myself just last night, and I did enjoy it. I thought it was maybe too slow from about 60 to 90 minutes in, but then it picked up again. I didn't know there was going to be a director's cut; I'd love to see it. I really liked it, but I thought the first hour was the best; it was tight and well-acted. Overall, B to B+ sounds about right for me, too.

Semaj said...

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the first hour was well paced.

Yep, the director cut will be released in 2008, I think.

Both versions were aproved by Fincher. he get final cut on his movies, but the studio kindly asked him to cut the movie down, which was probably a smart movie in the long run.

Mayren said...

This comment has nothing to do with the review per se but your Reviewing history and the grades you give...


ok - I know you are a very hard to please movie and show critic..
I want to see a list of movies that actually cut the mustard for you.
I REALLY want like a TOP 10 A and A+ movies from you. I rarely see anything over a B from you.

Curious minds might wanna know.

Semaj said...

Yeah, I'm a little rough on movies, and I should post a list of A and A-, I generally try to stay away from A+ and A because that means they don't have flaws.

B's usually are highly recommended movies, and I really enjoy greatly.

J.D. said...

Director's cut? Ooh! I can't wait!

Semaj said...

yeah, I going to try and get this one.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47