Thursday, August 30, 2007

Cho

Inside a Killer’s Mind

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=3541157&page=1

I’ll come out and say this about myself; I am an outsider and always have been. I’ve spent most of my life being by myself. I’m just more content with being alone and not dealing with people. And, when I read this article about Seung Hui Cho, the Virginia Tech killer, part of me sees some of these outsider traits within myself. Yet, I can’t fathom the mass shootings and hatred that came out of this kid. There was more behind this kid’s anger than was let on before.

Somehow, he let the outside world get to him.

((The bottom line: The killer, Seung Hui Cho, had been mentally ill since childhood))

They go on and talk about how he wouldn’t respond to or hug family members. He would refuse to talk when spoken to.

(("When he first came to America he was in about the second grade," said the acquaintance. "Every time he came home from school he would cry and throw tantrums saying he never wanted to return to school."))

(("I remember sitting in Spanish class with him, right next to him, and there being something written on his binder to the effect of, you know, '"F"' you all, I hope you all burn in hell,' which I would assume meant us, the students," Baldwin said. "And the teacher saw that and she came over and she got him, talked to him for a little bit … and then took him out of the classroom."))

Hmm, this should have been investigated more.

The news media likes to blame violent videogames/movies and guns for this kid’s attack, but there was a deep metal illness to him, something that can’t be explained. Anyone that cold-bloodily murdered that many people was going to do it no matter what. Videogames weren’t going to change that. The signs were there, but no action was really taken. Liberal and conservative alike like to talk out the media influences make this guy pull the trigger, but their focus is wrong.

My encounter with someone unstable.

I remember my encounter with the guy from work, Ray. We watched as his emotional and metal levels started to break down, and he became more and more unstable. He would later go on and kill a family man in cold-blood in a parking lot. Deep down, we knew he was capable of violence. Yet, in the back of my mind, I wonder if I should have pushed for the company to force this guy into therapy. Would it have made a difference?

I’m not sure. Some people can never be helped.

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47