Sunday, September 13, 2015

Orange is the new Yellow

Orange is the new Yellow
It is funny how I remember certain things from my childhood, but totally forget everything else. I can't even remember people's names after they're introduced to me.
Orange Duck: Because I was such a strange and detached child, I remember coloring a coloring book and using the color of orange as its primary color. I remember a girl looking at my “wonderful”coloring with such confusion.
She said, “I don't think I've ever seen a orange duck. Most ducks are yellow or white.”
My heart was broken. Damn it, I picked the wrong color.
However, this was probably the beginning of me picking choices that didn't conform to the mainstream. Looking back today, I can see that I've been making these “orange” choices all my life. When I see the group go one way, I feel almost compelled to go my own way.
Keep in mind that being the non-conformist/outsider is not easy. You're probably going to spend a lot of time alone. If you're a black kid, forget about finding dates. Most black girls in high school will flat out ignore you because you're not a part of the group. And, you'll be seen as a loser.
Even as I look back at high school, all of my friends were outsiders and not a part of any group.
I am that orange duck.
Side note: In real life, I just discovered that there are orange ducks. Just do a Google search, besides the dinner dish. I guess she was wrong.


 Well, this is orange and it has a duckface...so

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47