Thursday, January 23, 2014

Xbox One and Machinima: XB1M13

Xbox One and Machinima: XB1M13
From Polygon, ((Microsoft would pay content producers a $3 CPM bonus (an extra $3 per thousand video views) if they posted a video with at least 30 seconds of Xbox One gameplay footage in the first two minutes, and verbally mentioned they were playing on an Xbox One. ))
Microsoft, why are you doing this strange marketing campaign? But, who is to blame for this PR disaster? Microsoft just can't get a break.

Paying people to promote your product is one thing, but the big problem is the non-disclosure of your payment from Mach and MS. You have to put the tag XB1M13 in order to get your 3 bucks and meet your view requirements. Not disclosing you're getting paid for your positive video is actually illegal.
I also have a problem with the term “stealth marketing”. There's free marketing and paid marketing I think MS wanted it both ways.

((2. "You may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One or any of its Games in your Campaign Video;

3. "You must feature at least thirty seconds (:30) of gameplay/footage of any Xbox One game within the first 2 minutes of Campaign Video

4. "You must verbally mention that you are playing the game shown on the Xbox One console." ))
(("You agree to keep confidential at all times all matters relating to this Agreement, including, without limitation, the Promotional Requirements, and the CPM Compensation, listed above." ))
I have to side with most of the people in the discussion. It might be more Machinima's fault than Microsoft's fault. Who put that confidential text into the agreement? This whole thing just rubs me the wrong way. I kept hearing about the bias of Mach when it came to MS, but I never believed it. This might validate some of the conspiracy claims. It just feels like Mach trying to cover its ass so that the network doesn't look bias.  But, they got caught with their pants down.
I am all about getting review copies and demos and promotions. If I get paid from the product maker to review their product I have to come clean with that, because it is the law. I wouldn't take their money anyway because I have to give a honest review.  Anyone that reads this blog knows that.  I get e-mails from companies trying to get ads on my blog (Legally) and I won't do it.  So, something like this XB1 promo thing is too underhanded because of the money and non-disclosure.  
On the MS side, MS has done a lot of damage control recently with the pulling back of DRM shit. And, the XBOX One has sold pretty good, not as much as Sony, but still impressive. So, why are they still trying to do damage control...and failing at it?
By the way, you can do a YT search for XB1M13  tag and watch all the videos with the promo gameplay still up there. What is sickening is some of the YT people are really spamming the XB1M13 videos. And, I can't seem to find that many English speaking videos with the promotion up.  Did they take their videos down?  
Oh, I haven't got to EA yet...




No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47