Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Lena Dunham, you're partly correct and partly wrong

Lena Dunham, you're partly correct and partly wrong
I am actually one of those people that will never be attractive in the conventional manner. Women have never found me attractive mostly, so I know I am not one of the good looking people. Plus, I keep as much clothing as I can on in public. I am in that same boat as Lena as far as being unconventional and not falling in today's standards of attractiveness. However, there is more to her response that troubles me. It is a very loaded response.
Lena Dunham is correct is showing a woman taking off their clothes in their normal life as the show displays. I actually find that interesting, and to be fair she isn't at all unattractive. If the show actually centered on an “real” ugly person that kept getting naked, would it be so popular? I'd say no. There really isn't anything ugly about people. I find Lena to be appealing as any other woman and I would date her, if her attitude was better. I just feel there is a constant crusade with her at every corner.
That's the biggest problem I have with Lena. She seems to always have this anger chambered and ready to fire whenever some people ask about the “excessive” nudity. If someone doesn't ask her about her appearance, then she makes the statement on her own.
From ABC.com, (("It's because it's a realistic expression of what it's like to be alive, I think, and I totally get it," Dunham replied. "If you are not into me, that's your problem, and you are going to have to kind of work that out." ))
The “that's your problem” portion is a tell-tell sign of deep seeded anger at people judging her body. I know this anger because I felt it back in high school when every woman would ignore me because I wasn't attractive or popular enough to “demand” their attention. I got angry and blamed them in same manner as Lena displayed. Just because someone doesn't find you attractive isn't a “problem”. People have types and you can't just point your finger at them a say, “guilty of finding me unattractive”. We all get the attractiveness hand we're dealt. We can make adjustments here and there, but what you have is what you'll have for the rest of your life. I still struggle with judging my own appearance, which is the reason I almost never take pictures of myself or let others take pictures of me.  But, I've learned it is not their problem all the time, but a matter of taste. 
Lena has turned that outward.
I feel that she does the excessive nudity, which I personally don't have a problem with, on the show just so she can challenge people to say something, and so she can make a statement. It is like when a hipster or goth person wears an offensive shirt in public waiting for someone to say something to them.
Tell the story first and then make the statement within the context of the story.
I have to also put the shame on Tom Molloy for falling for that trap and asking that stupid question. You've taken notice of the offensive shirt and commented on it instead of ignoring it. Now, you have people swooping in and rallying around her “cause”. You know that she says this sort of thing all the time. Why would you even ask the question?
I have a much bigger problem with the show.
I really can't get into the show, not because of the nudity, but that I hate most of the characters on the show. When I understand the motives and like the characters on The Wire and Game of Thrones more than the ones on Girls, you know you're doing something wrong.

That's my problem, right?  

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47