Sunday, September 19, 2010

Dance Flick

Dance Flick

I can say this for Dance Flick, it is better than all those Jason Friedberg
Aaron Seltzer spoof movies. However, that’s not saying much. To my surprise, Dance Flick has a few jokes going for it, but rest of the movie is a little too disjointed for its own good.

Dance Flick makes fun of all those stupid dance/urban movies where the white guy/girl comes into the urban environment and learns hip-hop dancing. It should be noted that the movie doesn’t really stray that far from the movies it’s trying to spoof. There is an exception. There is an awkward Twilight joke that seems completely out of place and makes no sense even in a spoof movie.

Directed by Damien Dante Wayans, first time movie director, the actual directing feels more than a little uneven. There were times when I felt Damien was trying to emulate his brother’s (Keenen Ivory Wayans) directing style, but not as well. Sometimes, it just comes across as bland.

Speaking of bland, Damon Wayans Jr. is a bland as they get. I’m surprised he didn’t just phase into the background scenery at certain points. I know that the Wayans like keeping it in the family, but at least give the kid some acting lessons.

Shoshana Bush, the lead white girl moving into the city, is better than her co-star. Shoshana is very cute and does kind of have a grasp on this acting thing, but her character is under-written. I can see that they were going for another Anna Faris with her, but they just didn’t get it right.

The writing doesn’t stand up any better either, because they’re trying too hard to spoof the entire dance movie craze, and I mean the entire range of movies in that genre. Nothing from that genre is overlooked, but it becomes such a jumbled mess that it was hard for me to tell what the hell was going on. Yes, I got a little confused by a damn Wayans movie. I’m embarrassed.

In the end, I found myself laughing at a few bits, but not much else. That is a shame because I’m still a fan of Scary Movie, and most of the cast from that movie came back for Dance Flick. Dance Flick isn’t Friedberg and Seltzer bad, but the Wayans haven’t reached their Scary Movie potential.

Grade: C-


Uh, let’s keep this between us. Yeesh

_____________________________________________________________

That’s just sickening on different levels.



No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47