Monday, May 11, 2009

Star Trek (2009) (Review Part 2 of 3)

Star Trek (Part 2 of 3)

The Acting

Chris Pine: Pine does a great job conveying a young Jim Kirk. What I really like is that Pine doesn’t do the overreacting that Shatner was famous for. I didn’t know who Pine was before the movie, but now I’m impressed. I’ll be looking at what he does after this.

Zachary Quinto: Sylar as Spock. He’s very good as Spock. He does a great job giving us a Spock that’s suppressed his emotions, but they do surface in this movie.

Simon Pegg: Pegg is just steals the show with his Scotty character. My only problem with his character is there isn’t enough of him in the story. Pegg is outstanding.

Zoe Saldana: Uhura has an interesting relationship with Spock, and that would have never happened in the original series. They had a problem with Uhura kissing Kirk in the in the 60s. Saldana is a good actress and very lovely. (I take everything I said bad about you in that horrible Guess Who.)

Eric Bana: Bana is great as Nero, I just wish they had more on this character. (Note: You must read Star Trek Countdown to get behind the reason he hates Spock and the Federation so much.) Plus, there’s an entire subplot cut out of the film, which I will get to later.

The Music

I won’t get into score here too much, because I will review the score separately. Needless to say, Michael Giacchino does a good work here. It took a few days to get into the music, but the main theme has grown on me.

The score is certainly a throwback to the bigger/grand scores from the 70s-90s, and a departure from the more atmospheric score of 2000s.

It’s strange to hear a Star Wars structured score around a Star Trek movie. But I like it.

It’s certainly not Giacchino’s best, but it sure as hell is a fun score. More composers need to take notice. Bring back the bigger scores folks.

The Special Effects

Digital Domain and Industrial Light and Magic did some amazing FX work here. Both FX companies have worked on other Trek films. While ILM is the more seasoned FX Company, I’ve always been impressed with DD too.

The new Enterprise takes a while to get use to, but I’ve grown to like it. Nero’s ship is the one I really like though. You almost get the feeling the ship is alive and evil.

Special Note: Winona Ryder doesn’t steal anything in the movie. Now, did she take anything that didn’t belong to her on the set? I don’t know.

I'm almost certain this is from a deleted scene. I don't remember him wearing those clothes.
____________________________________
Sulu: "Chekov, plot a course to the closest White Castle."

2 comments:

PJ said...

The new Enterprise looked gorgeous - I loved how the lights on the ship's underside twinkled.

Scotty's crinkle-faced pal was so cute too.

I quite enjoyed the main theme, which lingered in my head long after the movie ended.

Semaj said...

Yeah, It was a fun movie. Scotty was the best. And the Enterprise was breathtaking

I'll try to get part 3 of the review up tomorrow

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47