Saturday, July 26, 2008

Uh, that new X-Files movie is coming out this weekend right?

The people over at Cinema Blend have a very convincing argument over the “Five Reasons No One Cares About The New X-Files Movie”.

When I heard about the announcement of a new X-Files movie, I was somewhat happy because I really enjoyed the first film. I thought the first movie was better than most people thought, despite its many plot holes. I wasn’t a huge fan of the TV show, and I only caught a handful of episodes from the 9 seasons on TV.

I noticed the marketing for this movie wasn't very strong. This usually means the movie didn't test well and the studio is just dumping the film out there. Or, the studio merely doesn’t know how to market the movie at all. I also think this movie is better suited for a Fall or Winter release.

Now, the reviews are starting to come in and it's not looking good for Scully and Mulder. ((Reviews on Rotten Tomatoes here))

Here are two issues I think the movie has going against it as well.

1. No Rob Bowman this time: Say what you want about the first movie, but I think the main reason that movie even worked was because of this director. He directed over 30 episodes of the X Files and 13 episodes of Star Trek TNG.

2. Fox and Carter Pissed off many of their core fans: There was a crackdown on X-Files fan sites years ago. I think this really killed a lot of the fan community. And the online fan aspect isn’t around today to create buzz.

3. Lame Title: It sounds like something George Lucas would come up with. It is worst than the first movie title, which was Fight the Future.

3 comments:

MC said...

I keep thinking that one little word would have made that first movie title so much better... for.

As in "Fight FOR the future".

Anonymous said...

I was a doubter going in, but I'm a believer now. This Phile is wholeheartedly recommending the movie.

Semaj said...

MC: You're correct and I believe the added sub-title "Fight the Future" was added to the movie extremely late in the game. And they should have had the "for', thus relating back to Mulder fighting the good fight.

BTW, it's funny seeing the early promotional for the first movie not having the "Fight the Future"


M: I hope so. While I would have liked the story to follow up "Fight the Future", I can live with a stand alone movie.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47