Thursday, July 17, 2008

Six Reasons Why I Hate Drillbit Taylor

Six Reasons Why I Hate Drillbit Taylor

I like Owen Wilson, sure he plays the same role in every movie, but he does a good job with that role. Who else are you going to get to play the burnt out slacker? Matthew McConaughey can't play every slacker role by himself.

However, Drillbit Taylor simply isn’t a good movie and his hippie character is wearing a bit thin in this overly long comedy. Instead of writing a regular review, I decided to give you six reasons I hated the movie.

(Yeah, I know Owen has had a tough year, but this movie is bad.)

6. Owen Wilson playing Dupree again: It’s the same character from You, Me and Dupree. Except now, he just manipulates some kids instead of his best friend. I mean they should have just named the character Dupree and made it a sequel to that movie. Let’s call it Dupree and The Kids.

5. Superbad II just PG-13: The folks over at The Movie Blog made a good point about the movie being a copy of Superbad, and I started to notice it as I watched the movie. Seth Rogen didn’t even try to hide it either. Maybe this was an early draft for Superbad.

4. The Kids Aren’t That Interesting: I really didn’t care if these kids got their butts kicked. I didn’t even know their names. I called one the fat kid and another one tiny kid and the middle kid.

3. The Bullies Are Too Evil: The bullies attempt to kill the kids on numinous occasions. Are bullies really like that? In this movie, they beat the living shit out of the main stars and even take a few swings at Owen Wilson. There seems to be no motivation into the way the bullies go after the kids.

2. The Plot is Unfocused: The movie doesn’t know what it wants to be and shifts from Owen Wilson to the kids and even to a collection of bums. Owen is the kids' bodyguard and he also pretends to be a teacher too, then you throw in a half-baked love story and you have a mess. The movie needed a better focus.

1. Drillbit Taylor: Just saying it aloud makes you realize how stupid the name is.

Grade: C-

2 comments:

MC said...

Matthew McConaughey probably turned down the script.

Semaj said...

lol
I wish I could do a good McConaughey impression, and say

"Nah, I don't think I can do this movie. Give it to the broken nose guy."

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47