Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Cop Rock/Viva Laughlin: Repeat the same mistake and act surprised when it is canceled again.

Good folks at over at the agony booth went into a discussion of Cop Rock and that song “Let's be careful out there.” I personally can't believe there was a Network Head that green-lit this thing.

I can see Steven Bochco pitching this thing like this, “It's Hill Street Blues, but with musical numbers.”

Keep in mind, this was broadcast in 1990, when the term Metro-sexual wasn't invented yet. This was when musical weren't considered cool (except for movies about a talking/singing plant that ate people, and two white guys dressed in black on a mission from God.)

Yes, the idea was stupid and it failed. So, what made the creators think 2007 was the year to bring this concept up again in the form of Viva Laughlin?

I'm sorry but watching Wolverine prance around in a flashy suit and sing badly won't get you viewers.

My question is this, is Viva Laughlin worst than Cop Rock?

Holy crap

I hope someone was fired over this mess.

There will be a time when this sort of mess will be acceptable thanks to American Idol and other reality shows.

2 comments:

MC said...

See, while I did absolutely crush Viva Laughlin in the past, at least CBS saw that it worked somewhere else and then tried it... Cop Rock... what the hell was ABC thinking?!?

Semaj said...

It amazes me that they even got Cop Rock on the air during the time period it was made.

I would have loved to have seen the pitch meeting for both of them.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47