Friday, May 11, 2007

Déjà vu

Déjà vu

Have you ever had that feeling that you’ve written the same review again?

I watched this movie last weekend. To my surprise, I really enjoyed this movie a great deal.

Tony Scott, Ridley Scott’s brother, directs this Denzel Washington movie. Déjà vu is a movie that mixes a brilliant sci-fi concept with the usual Jerry Bruckheimer action set pieces. The basis for the story is time travel and multiple timelines, which is now becoming a more accepted theory of time travel these days. The concept is the main reason to watch this film, there are some neat scenes where the past and present co-exist and it’s just cool

A terrorist attack kills over 500 people on a boat, and Washington’s character is put in charge of the investigation. The FBI brings him in on a secret project that deals with the government being able to see into the pasts, but they don’t tell Washington’s character everything just yet. Washington is simply wonderful as Detective Doug Carlin. Washington is probably one of the best actors of our generation. Seeing him uncover clues by using logic and good old fashion detective work is enjoyable to watch. Paula Patton is hot, and Val Kilmer is pretty good, if a little bloated. (I remember Paul mentioning that).

Harry Gregson-Williams’ score is a little too Metal Gear Solid 2 for my taste, but it’s still better than his other Tony Scott score Man on Fire. I’m sure Bruckheimer asked him to write a Jerry Bruckheimer score.

There are many plot holes in the story, but then again time travel storytelling will always have plot holes. It is the nature of the concept. Trust me, the ending is a little confusing. For a slightly flawed sci-fi movie, it’s a very good and I say check it out.

Grade B

Here’s Detective Keith Frazier still trying to figure out the bank heist from Inside Man.
____________________________________________________

Paula Patton: “Hello?”

Semaj: “Yo, how ya doin?”

Paula Patton: “What?”

Semaj: “So, are we still on for that dinner date tonight?”

Paula Patton: “Listen, I don’t know who you are and I’d wish you’d stop calling me.”

___________________________________________

Denzel Washington enjoys watching Jared’s video collection on the big screen.
___________________________________________________

Jerry Bruckheimer: “What in the world? I thought this movie had pirates in it.”

Tony Scott: “Wrong movie set, Jerry.”

_____________________________________________________

Val: “I want you to tell all your friends about me.”

Denzel Washington: “Who are you?”

Val: “I’m Batman.”

Denzel Washington: “Why am I feeling a case of Déjà vu?”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence, i got this one and watched it last week as well, seems the movie is spilling out into the real world.

it was a good movie, but it didn't explain enough, and the ending is a bit flat. Great story though.

Semaj said...

yeah the ending was a mess, and little confusing, but I couldn't believe how good this movie was, and it should have made more money.

MC said...

I watched it last weekend too!

I liked the fact that they built the premise up slowly instead of just dumping you into everything right off the bat. It showed the writers had some discipline in slowly cranking it up.

Semaj said...

LOL, that's funny. we three probably watched it around the same time.

Yep, It also drew us in when we figured it all out with Washington character. He got to see it from his POV.

I hope the writers/director/Washington do another movie.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47