Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Conan O'Brien is done with The Tonight Show

Conan O'Brien is done with The Tonight Show

I have to say well done, Conan. NBC tried to screw you over again by pushing your show back 30 minutes. Thus, killing your show.

Here are some finer points of Conan's statement,

((Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both. ))

Heck, NBC should have let Conan stay in his show and let Leno go. However, NBC is scared of Leno moving to another network more so than Conan moving away. Leno can't sit at home with his millions and do nothing because Leno is a busy body.

((But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule. ))

I just can't understand why NBC wants to keep Leno when you consider how much money his Prime time show cost the network. I know older people are really loyal to Leno, but doesn't NBC want to build a new demo with Conan? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, good luck, Conan where ever you end up.

7 comments:

MC said...

I've gotten some inklings that Lorne Michaels is very unhappy about this turn of events.

MC said...

And he got the BOOT! Conan got thrown to the curb.

Semaj said...

I'm guessing he's probably going to Fox now. Man, this is getting interesting

Does Lorne Michaels have a beef with Conan?

MC said...

Lorne Michaels was Conan's producer for 17 years, and was one of his first employers on SNL. He is upset with NBC for their treatment of someone he spent a lot of time grooming (he picked Conan for Late Night in the first place).

Semaj said...

Ah, I see. I've noticed Lorne Michaels hasnt said much about it. Strangely enough, Jerry Sienfield has though.

MC said...

And now Seinfeld is getting some time on NBC at 10PM... coincidence?

Semaj said...

Lol, you're right and I think another poor investment on NBC's part, which they're falling into the same trap as Microsoft (in thinking that Seinfeld is relevant still)

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47