Wednesday, April 25, 2007

D&D movie

D&D fans

Back in high school, I remember seeing these guys sitting around a table with a game board and dice, with zero ladies around. They were in a different class of Nerds than other Nerds. They were concerned with Magic points and HP than getting laid. I wasn't a nerd or a geek during those years, so I didn't get the whole catch behind D&D. I remembered getting into Phantasy Star on the Sega Master system, never realizing that Phantasy Star and Final Fantasy were strongly based on D&D games. However, the kids in school that played D&D weren’t able to conceal their total geek-dom like I was, a videogame RPG player. Back then; it wasn’t hip to announce that you were a level 73 Warrior, subbing a Monk class. (I am a recovering Final Fantasy XI online freak). WOW and FF changed that perception, since even the star football player has a RPG character online.

There’s always been a stigma to being an RPG player or a D&D player, and the ladies aren’t generally falling over themselves to get the best D&D player in the state. So, I found this movie to be fairly funny.

I like how they got all little things right in the movie. The big guy is wearing a Dragon shirt that I’ve so many of these D&D guys wear all the time. (Note: Strangely enough, I saw a few of them in the audience in the 300 theater).

Best moments…

One of the guys asks the pizza delivery lady out on a date, but he has to close the door to do it.

The other D&D guy says his D&D prayers at the dinner table as the Christian family members attempt to say their prayers.

4 comments:

Mayren said...

Hey - I resemble that post. But i am a Rare breed. I am a Gamer Chick. I automatically get a 50% cool bonus because I'm willing to hang with the guyz and collect my pretty blue and pink glow in the dark 20 siders. *smile*

Semaj said...

Lol, when I was writing this post, I was wondering how you were going to take this post.

I have a friend who is a huge D&D fan and I always ask him rpg questions about stats and so on.

I also have to admit that I've tried to play one of these type of D&D games.

Mayren said...

D&D is not the end and be all of RPG. There are so many cool RPGs out there. D&D just happens to be the original and most known.

Semaj said...

I heard that one of the reasons these type of rpgs became huge was because some many service men on overseas bases played these games and then brought them home to their younger brothers, where it caught on even more.

Is that true?

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47