Monday, February 13, 2006

Legend of Zorro (review)

“Dude, the poster is on fire! Somebody better put it out.”
_______________________________________________

Legend of Zorro

This is the follow up to the slightly better film The Mask of Zorro. This movie, while enjoyable, falls under the goofy department too much for my taste. Plus, the PG rating does hurt the movie (The first one was PG-13.). Zorro now is married and has a little boy (Little Brat), while California bids for statehood. The plot is a little flimsy and not even worth repeating here.

The action scenes are what keep this movie from drowning in its own goofiness. The action scenes are filmed and edited pretty good, and only get better toward the end. The battle between the main villain and Zorro is worth noting.

James Horner returns for the sequel to compose the music. Like any other Horner score, it sounds like every score he’s written in the past 15 years. (Really, Horner, it’s time to write new music.). In this film, he decides that his old Mask of Zorro score was good enough and simply played the themes without adding anything new. I should also note that Horner also rips pages from his Clear and Present Danger score, because he was extra lazy. (Why does Horner still use that Japanese flute in every score? Is he in love with it? It has no business being in a Mexican film set in Old California, enough already.)

In the end, the movie is much more lighthearted than the early film, and doesn’t hold up well. It is still a fun movie, but nothing more.

Movie Grade: C

James Horner Score Grade: F+

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm.
I was on the fence about seeing this, it looked kind of 'dreary'. Now I think I'll pass on watching.

:D

Semaj said...

Yeah, its okay as rental, but I'm happy I didnt see it in theater.

Anonymous said...

Yeah,
I think it costs more here to rent a new DVD than to see a movie so...

Thanks for commenting on my blog ! It's ironic that as soon as I posted a new entry you had posted on the last one lol :P.

Are you planning on reviewing the new Elder Scrolls Game when it comes out as well ?

Semaj said...

nope my plate is full, I still have to review Hustle and flow and Kingdom Hearts 1 as well as Xenogears

Jeff said...

I avoided it just because of the kid. Nothing good can come from kids given superhero powers.

Semaj said...

Oh, yeah that kid was just annoying. He did have superpowers too. LOL

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47