Thursday, February 23, 2006

figures of speech

I’ve always like hearing new figures of speech, but the classics are also good.
http://www.essdack.org/Tips/idiomlst.html
here are some

1. Keep it under your hat: What do you do when you don’t have a hat.

2. Burns the candle at both ends: I wouldn’t mind seeing one of those.

3. Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours: What if I don’t want to scratch your back?

4. Break a leg: Are you giving me an order? That’s a bit extreme. I got one for you: Go to hell.

5. Barking up the wrong tree: Oh, this one has more than one meaning. Barking=tree.

6. Elbow grease: If you have elbow grease, it’s time to take a bath.

7. Butter her up: What?

8. Still wet behind the ears: Okay, you got rid of the elbow grease, but use a towel.

9. Skating on thin ice: I hope you fall through.

10. Beat around the bush: So, that’s what they call it now.

11. Butterflies in your stomach: Well, some people do eat honey covered butterflies…

12. Eyes are bigger than your stomach: That’s called Anime

13. Break the ice: I told you not to skate on thin ice, foo.

14. Pass the buck: No! The Buck stops here, no further!

15. Swallow your pride: Does pride taste good?

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Our writers actually have a site they visit frequently called Phrase Finder, that provides such classics as "More than you can shake a stick at," and who can forget this one: "As difficult as nailing jelly to a tree."

Semaj said...

Lol, i've never heard of the jelly one before.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47